Night Hunting Camo....

4949shooter

Guys,
I will be trying out night hunting for the first time this season.

Do you bother with camo while hunting preds at night? Some military manuals I have read state that camo is still a benefit at night due to moonlight and shadows. I am wondering if this still applies to predator hunting when you have a light fixed on them. It sorta seems to me that the light would negate any benefits of wearing camo. What's the consensus here?

Thanks,

I always wear just the top camo. Don't worry about the pants. Especially with snow I wear the snow camo because wearing regular camo is very dark in snow and it will look like an ink spot over a white sheet of paper. You would think wearing all black would be good but I really don't think so. Especially if you don't have something behind you, that black silhouette will stand out. Just from my experience.

Nick I dont wear any camo at night... I mostly wear Carharts when I go...If the moon is a little bright I might put camo on or something a little darker but no camo is not necessary...You are right,the light is your shield and they are not going to see you standing on the other side of it....Chad

Originally Posted By: peterjc4949,
I always wear just the top camo. Don't worry about the pants. Especially with snow I wear the snow camo because wearing regular camo is very dark in snow and it will look like an ink spot over a white sheet of paper. You would think wearing all black would be good but I really don't think so. Especially if you don't have something behind you, that black silhouette will stand out. Just from my experience.

Good point peterjc...Yep snow is a different story...I wear white or my faded out Carharts when there is a snow on...I always try to call from some type of cover when snow is on the ground...

I have camo on because I usually get out there before the sun sets, I'll work a few stands, no use in changing after that......

John

BDUs- their eye sight is better at night than ours. I've been out with Mossy Oak etc.. and noticed that I looked lighter than everything around me. You go black and you're a black blob leaning against the tree 20' from the caller. Competition? Blob of interest? Old school woodland has a good combination of colors and the fabric it's printed on is olive green, so as it breaks down you don't have white fibers creating white fuze showing through. My two cents that I hunt by...................

Wear dark sneakers. You can run faster than your hunting buddy when the things in the night go BUMP! Especialy when it is coming in from behind you. Just kidding there is nothing out there, right?

Originally Posted By: justshootWear dark sneakers. You can run faster than your hunting buddy when the things in the night go BUMP! Especialy when it is coming in from behind you. Just kidding there is nothing out there, right?
Don't know?
eek.gif
There are a couple patches of woods in my area that I WWWWONT hunt at night. Heard and felt some strange things. For me to turn all my lights on and walk out backwards
eek.gif
shocked.gif
eek.gif
............... well lets just say that it takes a bit to un-nerve me......

Originally Posted By: BoomyDon't know?
eek.gif
There are a couple patches of woods in my area that I WWWWONT hunt at night. Heard and felt some strange things. For me to turn all my lights on and walk out backwards
eek.gif
shocked.gif
eek.gif
............... well lets just say that it takes a bit to un-nerve me......
Boomy, elaborate for us. We're always up for a good story.
cool.gif

Last edited:
just keep the spot light in front of you and they wont silohuette you. dont know if you can use a light or not but that will work if you use one

Back