Turret Press, Lee or RCBS

whit223

I'm looking to get into reloading and am wondering about turret presses on the market. I have already bought a Dillon 550, but have yet to break it out of box since I haven't gained any experience yet. I've been advised that the Dillon may not have been the right choice to start the learning process with, so here we are. IYHO, should I go simple with a Rockchuker or a green or red turret press? I saw on here a while back that some of yaw like the turret press, but can't find those postings. Thanks in advance

Start with a good single stage press. There's a lot that goes on in reloading. A single stage will let you keep an eye on every stage and every round. Once you're an old hand at it, then upgrade. I've heard good things about the lee 4 hole turret.

whit, you got 3 things to look at:
single stage,
turret,
and progressive.
Single stage is just what it sounds like.
Turret is just a single stage with several dies on the press at the same time.
Progressive is way over my head, but it's stuff like the Dillon 550 that do a specific function on several cases every time you crank the handle.
I've got the Redding T7 with 7 dies in it right now. It looks complicated, but I just use one die at a time and it's really simple.

There is no reason why you can't single stage load on your Dillon 550. You just install the correct shell plate and install your dies in a tool head in the appropriate positions. You can do the priming, and powder charging off the press till your ready to go progressive. I load some cartridges single stage all the time on my Dillon. This method is extremely easy and it gets you started learning your new Dillon without the extra expense of a separate press.

You have a Dillon already. Learn on that. It is one of the best machines you can buy. The process is not that dificult and the Dillon does it all from sizing to crimp. That is all you need. The Dillon is very easy to set up and get going. All the processes in reloading are the same, single stage or not.

I have a Dillon and use it all the time. If you have any questions just post. I am sure I speak for many on this site when I say we will be glad to help you.

If you still want to buy a single or a turret I personaly like Redding.

Nick

Last edited:
I watched a few Utube videos showing how to operate the 550B. The rep at Dillon recommended them to me. The guy doesn't work for Dillon but has helped sell a lot of presses for them he said.

People often recommend a "good single stage press" to new reloaders. I was a new reloader 2 years ago, and from all I read and talked to people, ended up buying a Lee 4-hole Classic Turret press. I actually bought it in a kit for around $155 that included a balance beam scale, funnel, powder drop, and some other goodies. I've since upgraded to the RCBS Chargemaster combo to speed up loading many different charges during load workup, but... I'm glad I bought the Classic Turret press. Caliber changes take 10 seconds, because you leave the dies in the turret, and only need to change out the turret holding a different caliber's dies. As far as I know, the only "good single stage press" that allows for quick die changes where they can be left set for depth, is the Hornady Lock N Load. I've used a Hornady Classic single stage, and an RCBS Rockchucker. Both are excellent presses that should provide a lifetime of quality reloading. I believe the Lee Classic Turret press can be found for less than $100 by itself, and is as accurate and well built as any single stage press I've used. I've used some Lee products that were not worth the money saved in their lower cost, but the Classic Turret press is not one of them.

Kempf Gun Shop sells a good kit with dies here.

Whit223, I started out many years ago (about 35) with a RCBS single stage press when I was shooting on the police pistol team and we had an early progressive at the PD that was hard to adjust and keep adjusted, so my comments may be a little colored by bad previous experience.

The Dillon has the reputation of being one of the best available and if I could justify one now, it would be on my loading bench...But I've never been sorry for the learning process on the single stage...

As my competition demands increased, about 20 years ago, I bought a Lee 1000, three die progressive for my handgun loading and altogether spent a lot less than a Dillon would have cost me...Since you already have the Dillon, you are way ahead of the game...

You should just go a little slower to learn it's potential. All that being said, I chose to upgrade my bench with a Forster Co-Ax single stage press and still use my Lee for my handgun loads as I find I can turn out much more accurate rifle loads with the high quality single stage Forster.

My best advice is to check around your pawn shops, or your local newspaper classifieds and find a used single stage and keep your Dillon...A couple of good manuals will help immensely and if you can find someone locally to help you set up the Dillon and fine tune the die adjustments, you will not be sorry you kept it....

Dillon has a great reputation for their Customer Service and they are just a phone call away, you just need to learn the language of reloading so that when you call them, you will get accurate answers..

As with any process, there are basic functions and there are advanced functions. If you are willing to take the time and learn the basics, before stepping up to the advanced, you should not have a problem.... The key is patience, Grasshopper...

I have used the Lee Classic Cast 4 hole Turret and it is excellent . I have a Redding T-7 and it is very good .The RCBS Turret has a good reputation and I am sure it would be good.With a Dillon sitting there you have got all you need .A good single stage press would be a good addition . I like the cast iron presses from RCBS , Redding and Lee . I am not a fan of Aluminum presses .

I gotta agree with Nick on using the Dillon as a single stage - I do that a fair deal in working up loads. You don't have to use all the stations at once, but they are there for production volume when you do.

If you just want a single stage or turret, then by all means get one. I think most of the brands have very usable models, but it seems the bench guys like the Forester Co-Ax for precision in single stagers.

I would stick with the Dillon, I'm not sure that you will ever need all the capabilities it can offer, but, for high volume it can't be beat. I'm not sure why you couldn't just use one die at a time, sounds odd I know, but it should work. Just realize that it will all need to be set different as you add additional steps. My first press was a Square Deal I went full on with it right away, but I also read every book I could find on the subject before-hand and knew what to expect. There are alot of people here that are more than willing to talk you through it if you need more help.

I don't know your game plan, and I know nothing of the dillon you own. Here is what I do. Rcbs Rock chucker (my first) used for decaping and special details. Lee 4 hole turret press for pistol use. Redding turret T-7 for rifle loads. The Rcbs turret would have worked fine but the Redding was on sale. I load all my hunting loads with a Pact Pro loading system, I weigh every load. For pd pistol loads and AR varmint loads I use a Redding Pro thrower as once it is set it will maintain a consistant throw, (its way faster).
Jim

I am a big Dillon Fan. I have two 550's one for small primers and one for large primers. I still have need for a single stage, for which I use an inexpensive Lee. I have owned a Lee turret and I was very unhappy with it. Many more issues than a Dillon. Dillon has a lifetime no BS warranty.

I'm relatively new to reloading and started out with the Lee 4 Hole Turret set-up that came in a kit for like $150 or there abouts. I have since gone to a single stage RCBS Rockchucker and have also gone to Redding Dies. I have to tell you, what a world of difference in the feel when you use the Rockchucker compared to the Lee. I can't begin to tell you how much better the RCBS feels and what it turns out. I guess you get what you pay for, although I must admit I bought the Rockchucker on ebay for dirt cheap and though the Lee Turret system cuts down on time by not having to change dies, I far more prefer the RCBS loader. I would not be a good spokesman for Lee after some of the BS I've gone through with their products. Buying twice is a pain, not to mention a huge drain on the wallet.

Thank yaw fellows for the advise. I may just stick with the Dillon and single stage it til I learn the tricks of the trade. I guess I'll go ahead and finish buying ALL the little things to set up. I do have another ignorant question, will RCBS dies work in the Dillon? Reason being, I have a local gunshop that keeps alot of the RCBS, Lee dies and equipment in stock. Believe it or not I also have found a Walmart (of all places) that carries RCBS equipment. These could be handy for the last minute needs.

Thanks again for the much needed advise.

whit

Yes about the only dies I've seen in recent years are 7/8-14 the only exception that comes to mind are 50BMG. so you can buy any brand off the shelf dies and they will work.

About 1/2 of the dies I use in my Dillon are RCBS or other brands. There are a few dies that are not compatible, such as dies for the Dillon Square Deal Press and a few seating dies with the window in the side can be a problem on a progressive press.

Be sure you have enough tool heads so you can keep your dies setup and ready to go. Some shell plates will work for several cartridges, but you will need the correct one for each cartridge you load. Powder die sets are required if your going to progressive load pistol calibers. Seating and crimping operations are best done with 2 separate dies on the Dillon.

You may want to consider getting a RCBS UNIVERSAL hand priming tool to prime off the press. Changing the priming system between large and small primers is a little bit of a hassle if you have to do it often.

I started with the RCBS single stage I believe it was a rockchucker reloading kit 2 years ago and still going strong, NdIndy proves a good point in a single stage you have your eye and hands on everything that goes on, however you already purchased a dillon, get a single stage or like they say.. UTUBE, it's how i learned.

Juan

Back