coyote hunting with remington .17 fireball

Hey David! Welcome to Predator Masters! I use a 17 Rem. and have killed several fox and a couple coyotes with it...The key for coyotes is shot placement...The coyotes I shot with the 17 Rem. I shot in the chest and neck and they fell where they stood...Have you already got a .17 fireball or are you thinking of getting one? As for the grass, shot placement again...If I could get a clear shot at the neck with my .17 Rem. I would take it...Maybe someone with a fireball can give you better answers than me...I had the choice of a .17 fireball or the 17 Rem. 2 years ago and I went with the 17 Rem. because its got more punch to it...Stay away from ballistic tips with the .17....They will splash! Use match bullets for penatration...I dont like ballistic tips for any caliber, My opinion...Glad to have you here....
wink.gif
....Chad

I have not bought one yet. Cant decide between the fireball or go with the remington 22-250.I like the idea of very little recoil, so you can keep the scope on coyote.Concerned about being under powered. thanks for your input!

For coyotes only, you will definately be under powered with the 17 fireball. If you are talking night hunting, there is no place for the sub calibers after dark. 17 or 20.

Randy

i use at least a 223...some places i have to use a 22 mag but 50 yards is the limit ive lost 1 out of 3 at night with the mag,but like i said its in town and thats all the bigger i can use.
i dont like a 17 for the other reason during bad weather nights,the wind will throw a lighter bullet off more.
but i have seen yotes shot at night with 17hmrs.

shot placement being the key.

Back