Bubba's Last Hoorah. March 2008

mikegranger

This post was accidently deleted by me while trying to move it over here. So, we asked Mike to repost his hunt story. This post won the HOM back in March 2008. Sorry, Mike. I'll try not do that again. - YH

Bubba’s Last Hoorah!

No, the infamous Bubba isn’t dead! We just finished the last hunt of the season as I stop pestering coyotes once they begin breeding.

As those of you who’ve kept up with these stories know, the hound and I like traveling long distances in attempts at finding the mother-lode of coyotes. Can’t say I’ve found such (except up in Canada hunting with Redfrog) but we’re eternal optimists: It’s always just up around the next bend. :)

That was our attitude as we pulled away, trailer in tow, last Thursday night. I promised my boss our first grandchild if he let me off Friday. The forecast was for no wind, nighttime temps in the single digits, daytime in the mid to upper 30’s, and a full moon. An ideal forecast as far as I’m concerned.

We arrive at the secret spot with a rising full moon illuminating the horizon, and coyotes howling. Oh, this was going to be good!!

We’re up bright and early the following morning. The moon is still hanging in the opposite horizon, frost on the vegetation and a hot cup of fresh brewed coffee in my hand! Does it get any better? Well, yes it does. In the other hand was a toasted in the skillet with plenty of real butter, bagel, covered with homemade chokecherry jelly! Now, that’s the ultimate, but I digress....

I’ve hunted this area one time before but it’s been awhile. While driving to the first stand, memories of coyotes busting the truck kept popping up in my mind. Remembered telling myself to park the truck at the cattle guard and walk the rest of the way. So, we parked at the cattle guard. Problem was, there were two cattle guards. You guessed it, we parked way too far away and after 30 minutes of walking realized my mistake, but was already committed. We called, nothing came, BUT had 3 groups howling. By the time Bubba and I got back to the truck, we had been an hour on the first stand.

IMG_1357.jpg

IMG_1359.jpg

This was our view at the next stand. A single coyote had been howling somewhere near here and right after taking this picture he pops up in the plowed field and makes a beeline straight to Bubba. I’ve been pretty smug with my shooting prowess as of late and was mentally thinking, #1 coyote for the day. Bang, the coyote runs away!! But wait, there’s more. Bubba runs out to save the day, gets the coyote to turn around and come back. Presenting a beautiful broadside shot at 150 yards. Gotta love the hound!

Another group of coyotes were howling not a mile from us so threw the coyote in the truck and headed to the next stand. Now the story gets really good!

I had an idea they were laying on the sunny side of slope, which made getting to a good calling spot without being seen very difficult. On the very first howl, the opposite hillside lights up. Bubba wants to take off but I keep him close. Sure enough, 3 coyotes stand up on the sunny side of the hill and look our way. They don’t seem too interested so I howl again. They howl back and Bubba is running around like a nut, barking and whining. That was it, they weren’t going to just sit there while Bubba was invading their territory. In short order they’re on a little rise not 75 yards away. I took these video clips with my digital camera. They’re not great but you may find them interesting. The first will gives a glimpse of how Bubba works, the second is a mistake but a very unique perspective and 3rd is me giving a play-by-play. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Back at the truck. The hound did good and deserves a scratch behind the ear!

IMG_1385.jpg

It took awhile to skin 4 coyotes; 45 minutes later we’re sitting up on a CRP field. No sooner do I blow the howler than another 3 coyotes stand up in the CRP and charge! Problem was Bubba didn’t see them. He’s on the opposite side looking the other way. By the time he sees I’m laying down, the coyotes are less than 30 yards. He comes barreling to my rescue and the lead dog freezes. I’ve got the scope on him and when Bubba is clear, drop the hammer. He didn’t even wiggle! The other two coyotes escape before Bubba can do his thing. I didn’t scold him too much. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

Two stands later we’re just about to leave when I see a dot through the binocs. Sure enough, it’s a coyote and he’s coming from a long ways (over a mile). I really enjoy these long distance coyotes as the excitement last awhile. When he’s less than 1/2 mile he disappears. I wait, call, wait, call, howl, wait, howl, wait and wait some more. No coyote. I’m scratching my head trying to figure out where the heck the coyote went when Bubba starts barking 90 degrees to where the coyote was supposed to be. Standing there, not 50 yards away is the coyote. All I can see is his neck and head through the grass. I hope for luck and pull the trigger. He died!

IMG_1389.jpg

That was it for day one. Six coyotes between 9:30 am and 2:30 pm. We didn’t see another coyote after 2:30, but neither of us complained.

Day two was just as beautiful and almost exciting, but in a different way!
The very first stand has a coyote howling back at us from a long, long ways. We howl and howl but it doesn’t show. After 20 minutes or so, Bubba and I back off the hill and head to the truck. Just as Bubba loads, the coyote howls again, but this time much closer. I grin, unload the hound and go back to the same spot. We howl a few times and 5-10 minutes later the coyote finally skylines at 1/2 mile. It slowly makes it’s way to us then stops and sits on a shaded slope at 180 yards. Nothing would get the coyote to move and I figured it was probably a female. Bubba couldn’t see her and was pacing back and forth, waiting for me to shoot something. I did, and she made a 100 yard dash before expiring from a well placed 35 grain Berger HP.

That was it for the day. No more coyotes came to our calls. We did have two responding, but they got side tracked and decided to breed. After getting “unhooked”, they weren’t too interested in us.... Hmm, I can’t imagine why. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

After the last call of the day, we’re driving along a two track trail when I see something up in front of us. It’s a coon! We don’t see many coons, especially when it’s cold. I jump out and take a shot, barely nicking it’s front shoulder. At the report, Bubba flies out of the truck and is on the coon in a flash. Mind you, Bubba has never seen a coon and this is a big 25# + boar, and he’s darn mad!!

If you’ve ever hunted coons, you know how mean the darn things are. It sounded like a buzz saw when Bubba grabbed him. Of course, having no idea what he just grabbed, I’m sure the wonder hound was taken aback! The coon was biting Bubba, he wasn’t going to let go and was biting back, and they were rolling around in the snow. It was an unbelievable sight. They would break away from each other then charge again. This went on for 10 minutes, all the while I’m trying to get them separated for a shot at the coon. I finally succeeded and Bubba wasn’t too worse off. Good thing I always hunt him with two collars around his neck!

We have to leave at noon on day three and wake up to thick fog. Can’t see 100 yards. I’ve never had much luck in fog as coyotes will circle downwind and out of sight. The fog finally breaks by 10 am while we’re sitting along a fence with a nice view of the world. I can see at least 2 miles down a drainage. My kind of spot! We call, take a few pictures, reflect on how beautiful God’s creation is, call some more, howl a few times, but nothing responds. I take one last look before heading to the truck and almost two miles away are two coyotes and they’re coming our way! I always marvel at when coyotes “want” to respond they’ll come great distances and when they “don’t” want to respond they won’t come across the yard! Go figure!! Anyway, I get a wonderful show of a male and female slowly coming across a big flat. The male would get too far ahead then stop and wait for it’s mate. Reminded me of walking with the misses. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif Anyway, 15 minutes or so and they’re circling downwind. We have the male coming directly at us, all the while I’m looking for the female. I’ve learned hunting with Bubba, shooting the female first almost guarantees a double, as the male will not leave the hound. The female stayed behind a little rise and never did present a shot, so I took the male running straight at us.

That was it. Eight coyotes and a coon in 2 1/2 days of hunting. Not a bad way to end the year at all. Now what am I going to do until fall with this hound that keeps jumping in the back of my truck, bawling to go hunting? Feed him I guess. He’s earned his keep. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

IMG_1400.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Back