what is the best way to trap a problem red fox (eating chickens)

thesavage

I had a farmer call me a few days ago and told me that he has lost over 20 chickens. On the way to the farm I saw two reds from the road but didn't call any thing in. So I set 4 snairs hoping to catch them on the way in use baiting sents. Traps have been set for a week and no fox, seen the fox still in the area. But the land owner and other farmer in the area have seen the fox running down the road with a chicken in its mouth. One farmer has a video of 4 reds playing with the horses but she is feeding them and won't let me shoot them. they go about a half a mile to catch the chickens. I found the runs I have snairs set about 5-20 yards away any other ideas. Going out tonight to check them and I think that I will try to set some in there runs. I you have a better way let me know I don't know what the sent is bought it at fleet farm last fall
Thank you
Greg

The sent will make a difference depending on what time of the year it is, but to be honest there is so much feed right now that lures can be spotty at best. I'm not saying a dirt hole with chicken remnants wont work but I think your best bet would be to find their travel routs or to set your traps near where the chickens roost. Ideally they will be in a pen and you can use snares or foot hold near where they breach the fence. Make sure the farm dogs don’t find the snares if he has any. Where do the chickens spend the night?

They are locked up in a chicken coupe the fox comes during the day time around 1:00-8:45. they do have a dog it will stay with the owner and is locked up at night I will be moving my traps tomarrow put them on the trails thanks for the info

It might be worth putting some near the pen at night. Just because they can't get at them dosn't mean they don't try. Let us know how it turns out man. good luck

I would probably try a live bait trap.Put a chicken in the little box that keeps the chicken safe in the back of the cage and hopefully that will be enough to coax the fox into the cage for a chicken dinner.Thats just an idea I had,whether or not its a good idea that will actually work I dont have a clue.But it might be worth a try.

We always used dead chicken parts and leghold traps right around the pen/coupe. That setup was the downfall of MANY chicken eating vermin! When chickens started dissapearing when I was a kid we would try and get up before my dad to check the traps before he could dispose of any offenders.
smile.gif

I think I would blind set them where they are coming into the coup.Of course this would have to be koser with all thier cats and dogs that they no doubt have running all over.(maybe there lies the problem)Snares should work good here.Where you know where they are traveling.This would be my way of catching the problem child.

The snares on the travel routes should work fine but DO NOT USE SCENT. When working with snares you want everything to be natural, the scent will just put them on alert. If you do not know exactly where the fox are traveling then use the leghold traps with dirthole sets near the chickens. Make sure the owner keeps the dog put up.

Place a very light foot hold next to the coop. Then a log about 6-8 inches from the fence. Predators will circle the coop looking for the easiest way in. I have done it both for fox and skunk that were getting into my birds. If you use light foot hold you can let the cat or dog or in my case goose out with no damage.

Back