Need data for .22 Hornet shooting 30g Barnes Varmint Grenade

Fitch

QuickLoad doesn't do a good job of modeling Lil'Gun in the .22 Hornet and Barnes doesn't have any loading data for this new bullet on their web site. I did several searchs looking for it but came up empty - probably because I'm not a search wizard.

In any event, I called Barnes and they said, start with the data for a 35g bullet and work up from there. As is usual for the VG, it's a big bullet for it's weight.

I'll be loading it at a COL of 1.759" which is longer than the magazine so I'll use a single shot insert in my CZ Hornet.

I use 13.3g to push the 35g V-Max, 13g to push the 40g V-Max. If I can fit it in there I'm thinking 13.5g with this new bullet.

Any of you folks using this bullet in your Hornet?

Thanks
Fitch

I don't think you can get enough Lil Gun in the hornet case for a light bullet, I have used H110 with good results. I believe the Hornady manual lists 12.3 grains with the 35 grain V-max, I would start there and work up .2 grains at a time to find either max or good accuracy.

Originally Posted By: Blackhawk43I don't think you can get enough Lil Gun in the hornet case for a light bullet, I have used H110 with good results. I believe the Hornady manual lists 12.3 grains with the 35 grain V-max, I would start there and work up .2 grains at a time to find either max or good accuracy.

I loaded 14.0g of Lil'Gun in 10 of them to try them out. They will get their chance this coming Tuesday when I go to the range. I may try them in my .223 just to see what happens. The .223 models reasonably well in QuickLoad so I'll use that and pick a conservative starting point.

I like your suggestion of H110. I have some of that, also some W296. Both like to be used in stout loads. I like your suggestion, but because of the size of this bullet I'll back off to 12.0g of H110 and go up in 0.2g increments.

Thanks
Fitch

Back