Made a day; 3 called - 1 killed

Yellowhammer

Staff member
Venatic and I have been waiting on a good cool morning to make a hunt on one of his spots. Our first hunt together there last year produced 4 kills and one shot and lost last year. This spot is between where we live (about an hour for him and 2 hours for me) so we met there at daylight.

It was cloudy, in the low 60's and a hint of rain. The conditions seemed perfect and the spots looked good, but the first 3 stands did not produce anything.

At the 4th stand, I saw a coyote circling way out in the pasture at the 15 minute mark. David was at my back, and told him a coyote was coming so he didn't quit the stand. He made a big circle, entered the woods and kepts circling. We heard a squirrels excited bark to signal his location, but he surely got our wind and never came out.

A couple of stands later, we set up on a narrow lane and we each set up to one side. David started with some bird sounds and then switched to Lucky Bird. At the 5 minute mark a coyote stepped out from the left, and I quickly dropped the hammer at about 80 yards. She dropped on the spot and several more minutes of calling did not produce anything else.

Here is the view from my position (the coyote is under the dead tree on the left edge):

buffalostand9-09.jpg

Here you can see how close to the call she was. The coyote is laying on the left edge, and the caller is sitting on the ground to her right abuot the same distance from the right edge of the picture. The wind was in our face.

buffalostand9-23-09.jpg

It was about 10 am and we had our first coyote on the ground. The 60 grain v-max from the Dtech claimed another victim.

buffalocoyote9-09.jpg

A few stands later, we were over looking a pasture with a creek down the hill and another pasture on the other side of that. David set the caller in a tree about half way between us and the creek. There were some call weeds straight out in front of us where the caller was, but open pasture on each side. David started the rabbit squalling and almost immediatley (about a minute) I saw a coyote chargin in from our left at a dead run. When it got clear I gave a "whoof", but it hardly checked up and started to bouce a little. I gave another, louder "whooof", but still it didn't stop. By now it had entered the tall weeds and was cutting straight between us and the call at about 40 yards. I knew it was going to cut David's path to put out the call, and it was changing gears when it came out of the weeds on the other side. I fired a shot at the high speed coyote, and it changed direction slightly and then David shot. My second shot couldn't have missed by much as it entered the brush on the other side of the pasture about 100 or so yards out. It was 12:15 pm.

Dang it, we were only one for 3. We tried a couple of more spots but it started raining so we called it quits about 2 pm. We hit the BBQ place in town for a good lunch and I hit the raod for the two hour drive home.

David- as always, it was good to get out and hunt with you. Hopefully next time we will stack up a few more.

HOM%20-%20Banner.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet pics and story, always a good thing to see !
cool.gif

Sorry if you already said this..... but what kind of rifle is the Dtech you shot with the 60grain? 223? 243? dunno just a guess

Its a .223 with the Oly SUM barrel I believe.
Sean had a great time as well and we will get after them again soon.

Quote: but what kind of rifle is the Dtech you shot with the 60grain? 223? 243?

The Dtech is an upper built by Mike Milli with Dedicated Technolgy who is a sponsor here at PM.

This particular one is a 20 inch fluted Oly SS ultra match with a 1:8 twist in .223 sitting on top of a Rock River lower with RR NM 2 stage trigger.

Billy- looking forward to hunting with you again soon.

Maybe next time you will get lucky and hit the runner. Those things sure are tough when they hit high gear. Thanks for the story and pics and hope you sack up some more soon.

Back