got another

seaaggie

question. this is more for my wife than anything else. i am torn on what rifle to get her for xmas. she has hinted at it over the last couple of months, and i am wondering how the recoil of the .25-06 compares to the .243 or 6mm. she has shot a 6mm and finds it is good. what do yall think

25-06 has got more recoil than the 6mm rd's it's a 30-06 necked down, more powder, more power, = more recoil,but in a heavier rifle,it isn't bad,too me, but everybody has there own ideal of whats too much, but imo for coyotes and whitetail either one of the 6's would work just fine

the problem is that she wants several different calibers. one being a 257roberts, and another .243, etc...she is the hardest to buy for. she is never exact. thanks ballistictip.

The 243 is a had one to beat for all around use. Recoil is managable. Flat shooting and you can go from varmint bullets up to big game bullets. I love the 243. See what she intends to do the most with it and go from there on cal.

yea get her all of them and then you can shoot what she isnt
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: ballistictip25-06 has got more recoil than the 6mm rd's it's a 30-06 necked down, more powder, more power, = more recoil,but in a heavier rifle,it isn't bad,too me, but everybody has there own ideal of whats too much, but imo for coyotes and whitetail either one of the 6's would work just fine

Yep, the 25-05 has a lot more recoil than a 243 or 244.
I have both a 244 and a 25-06, so I speak from experience.
My recommendation is to get her a 243. The last thing you want is to have her get into a rifle she doesn't like due to the recoil. That could turn her away from shooting and hunting, which you don't want.

Originally Posted By: Martyn4802Originally Posted By: ballistictip25-06 has got more recoil than the 6mm rd's it's a 30-06 necked down, more powder, more power, = more recoil,but in a heavier rifle,it isn't bad,too me, but everybody has there own ideal of whats too much, but imo for coyotes and whitetail either one of the 6's would work just fine

Yep, the 25-05 has a lot more recoil than a 243 or 244.
I have both a 244 and a 25-06, so I speak from experience.
My recommendation is to get her a 243. The last thing you want is to have her get into a rifle she doesn't like due to the recoil. That could turn her away from shooting and hunting, which you don't want.

that direct comparison was exactly what i was looking for. thanks...my whole goal is to not get her a rifle that she wouldnt like. sofar every weapon i have purchaced her she has loved.

The 257 roberts has the saame parent case as the 6mm so powder capacity and recoil would be similar. If you reload it would be a very good choice, but bullet styles are somewhat limited in factory ammo.

Originally Posted By: ballistictip25-06 has got more recoil than the 6mm rd's it's a 30-06 necked down, more powder, more power, = more recoil,but in a heavier rifle,it isn't bad,too me, but everybody has there own ideal of whats too much, but imo for coyotes and whitetail either one of the 6's would work just fine

Not to be too nit picky, but the 6mm Rem. is not a necked
down 30-06 Sprg. It's parent case is the 7mm Mauser, or
also known as the 7x57.

As to the original question, if one hand loads, the 6mm Rem.
would be my choice over the 243 Win. Again, the 257 Roberts
is a fine cartridge, but to get the most out of it, hand
loading is required. As to the possibility of a 25-06 Rem.
rifle, the recoil is not difficult to over come with a higher
end aftermarket recoil pad.

For deer sized critters, I would prefer a 25 caliber round
over a 243 caliber round.

Squeeze

Well there you go-if a .257 Roberts is on her wish list that would be about perfect. Get a Ruger Hawkeye and enjoy. It(Hawkeye) is probably the best pure otc hunting rifle out there today. TnTnTn

Let me add this...I talked a father out of a 270 for his 10 yr old son to a 260 Rem...no recoil to speak of and it kills beyond its paper balistics. Robbie

Back