coyotes and trains

Wilkerson

i sit out on my porch at night with the kids and listen to the coyotes howl.i have train tracks about 300 yards behind my house every time a train goes by blasting its horn they really start howling like crazy.anyone ever heard this and wonder why they do it.

The pitch of the horn hurts their ears, anyway that is what I was told by a vet when my dog would howl at the train.

My buddy lives by train tracks also, and most of the time the Coyotes go off - at night time. During the early morning the howling is hit or miss.

We have seen them out in the fields and the train was just a blowing it horns and the dogs did not respond. At best we were also, maybe 150 - 200 yards from the tracks that day.

Nothing consistent...

Same way with sirens, anytime sirens blow coyotes will start howling, lot of people with law enforcement buddies will get them to come by their place and hit sirens a couple times to see if any coyotes respond, if any in area, kinda like turkey hunting, turkeys seem to hate loud noises and will gobble at anything that disturbs them.

That makes perfect sense to me jj, I was hunting for some yotes the other night and an ambulance had its sirens on from a nearby road and it set off numerous yotes (sounded like at least 4 or 5) into a howling session. Never experienced that before but I thought it was pretty neat how they all reacted to it!

I have heard them sound off to trains alot at night... I think some people use hand held sirens to help locate them. Like stated above... it must hurt thier ears.
Don.

I believe they think it is a howl, they answer sirens, too. I heard them howl to train horn many times in WY.

Last edited:
Back