70 gr. 243 NBT for deer question

billygoat

I was wondering if any one ever used a 70 gr. Nosler ballistic tip in a 6mm for deer. I have worked up a load to 3,595 fps which would give me a max pbr or about 350 yrds. Last year I killed 2 bucks with 80gr. sierra sbt's and the deer did not go more than 15 yrds or so. killed one at 318 yards and another at about 60. The 80 gr. sbt's had thin jackets ment for coyotes and did not penetrate all the way through but did the job, the 70gr. nbt's have heavyier tappered jackets than the sbt's so they should work, Keep in mind the deer I hunt are 100 to 150 pounds max, blacktailed deer in nor cali. I killed my first one ever with a 55gr. 223 round and droped in on the spot, have killed many with an 06 and 7mm and 300 w mag, those are just too much gun for me, I think the 70gr. nbt will work fine as long as i put it in the boiler room just wondering if any one else has killed one with these. I hunt open burn areas in california mountains which often require long shots, the 80gr. bullets never failed me so far even past 300 yards. wouldent shoot a big mule deer with one though imo.

I also bought some 80gr. nosler ballistic tips so if i dont feel the 70gr. will be adaquet I can always use those for a maximun point blank range of 300 and I know those will work for sure, just to let every one know

Are those the purple tips? I hope not as they are made for varmints, I believe they will probably just explode at that velocity and ruin alot of meat.

I've killed quite a few whitetails with the Sierra 85 gr. HPBT and that seems like a nice compromise bullet. I have heard many good reports of the 85 gr. BTSP Speer as a good antelope/deer bullet, though I have never tried it. For dedicated big game in that range the 85 gr. Barnes TSX or 85 gr. Nosler would get the nod from me. Personally I wouldn't be comfortable with that 70 gr. .243 NBT at those velocities for deer size game. If max PBR is what you are worried about and you can't get enough velocity from the 85 grain bullets meant for larger game, then I think you are shooting too far or need more horsepower, a larger cartridge.

I've got a good friend that has killed a pile of them with the 70, with good shot placement. However, he's shooting them out of a 20" 6br (prolly around 3050fps give or take) so they will act MUCH diffent at such high V. I'm with GC, if your going to dedicate as a big game rifle get a stouter bullet for marginal shot. I'm sure it will kill deer though if shot are taken as they would be with a bow.

The 6mm BallisticTip 70 and 80 grain bullets are VARMINT BULLETS.
They MAY work but I would not do it.

The 6mm 90 and 95 grain BallisticTips are for hunting Deer sized animals..................

All the 6mm BallisticTips have Purple tips. You can not tell the weight by the color only the diameter.

Last edited:
Sierra has 80 grain "Varminter" and "Pro-Hunter"
They have 85 grain "Varminter" and "GameKing"
Also 90 and 100 grain "GameKings" as well as 100 grain "Pro-Hunter"

You need to figure out what bullet it is and what it was designed for. It mat "work" for other things but do not be surprised when it fails at the worst time.

Use the correct bullet.

loaded up some tsx 85 gr. those are workin good so far, I just loved the trajectory of those 70's but wasnt real comfortable honostly, so im gana use the tsx. thanx.

Originally Posted By: billygoatloaded up some tsx 85 gr. those are workin good so far, I just loved the trajectory of those 70's but wasnt real comfortable honostly, so im gana use the tsx. thanx.

the trajectory of a longer/heavier bullet will be flatter over a longer distance, the heavier bullet will be less affected by wind, and will deliver more energy at longer ranges.

I shoot 87 Vmax out of my 243 for long range hogs and feel quite comfortable that it would drop a whitetail in a heartbeat, however I always use 100 gr Sierra Game Kings for the added insurance of proper bullet expansion and extra energy delivered.

bownut

My bad! Yes all the 6mm noslers have purple tips. 55,70,80grs are all meant for varmints. will they kill deer ? Yes but at the same time they will more than likely ruin alot of meat. Go to a bullet that is intended for and constructed to use on deer.

Originally Posted By: youngdonMy bad! Yes all the 6mm noslers have purple tips. 55,70,80grs are all meant for varmints. will they kill deer ? Yes but at the same time they will more than likely ruin alot of meat. Go to a bullet that is intended for and constructed to use on deer.

The 90 and 95 grain 6mm BallisticTips are made for Deer and have purple tips.

I like the 95gr ballistic tips. i shoot factory winchester and they have the supreme line which has the bonded 95gr ballistic tips. I picked up a few boxes and man they sure shoot good going to try them for deer this year. They should work a bit better then the standard 95 ballistic tips because there controled expansion so im thinking they will be just awsome on deer. They are the CT bullets from nosler the one im refering to have a clear redish tip.

Back