Tires!

sendit223

I need to face the ugly reality that I am going to need tires for my truck. I searched and couldn't find the advice I saw on some posts a while back.

Rig: Toyota Tundra, 275 65 18

Purpose: road driving mostly, but plenty of weekends in the sticks, mud, rocks, etc. I use my truck, it is scratched and that two track looks good to me! So I drive where I need to drive.

Advice requested:

(1) where to buy? Online and then local balance & mount? Les Schwab?

(2) what to buy? Brand/model.

As always, thanks in advance.

Sendit,

Talk to your Goodyear store. I was in getting a flat fixed Monday & they have some new tires coming out to replace the Wrangler MTR (I believe is the model number) Anyway, those tire are awfully expensive, but they ones they are replacing are way cheap now. Like 1/2 price per tire.

Pretty aggresive tread for off road. The border patrol uses them down here. 10 plys (rating) are the only way to go.

If I hadn't just bout a new set of Remingtons a couple months ago I would have run out of there with them at under $150 each.

Barry

I had some BFG M/T's on my wrangler but I just bought some new 35" BFG AT's for better snow performance and theyre awesome,

I would check into the bridgestone revos. I think that is your best bet for what you wanting both hwy driving and some offroad. I would check tirerack.com

i got my tires at sams no questions ask on how they got flat if cant fix then i get a new one.

after driving through two foot of snow in two wheel drive i will never use another tire bfg at/ko. have 6 ply tread and 3 ply side wall. i have 45000 miles on mine and still have 8/32 left. most hwy some rocks some mud

Last edited:
BFG A/T's. By far the best a/t tire I've had. I like more of a M/T though.

You should find the cheapest price online and have Les Schwab or Discount Tire price match.

Tirerack.com usually has pretty good prices

I've got a set of 33/10.50R15 BFG AT's on a 4Runner that I really like but I've heard they can be terrible if you drive on many gravel roads. A lot of blown tires.

On the good side, just talked to a buddy with a Z71 the other day that has 90 000kms on his AT's and still expects another year or two. That's hard to believe!

Thanks for all the suggestions. There's almost too many choices.

Barry - I looked online for those MTRs and found a price difference between the Kevlar ones ($$$) and the non Kevlar. Not sure if that's the difference or not?

I'll check tirerack.com too.

I really like the BFG mud terrains. I just put a set of the KM2's on my jeep and i drive alot on knarly gravel roads. So far no complaits.

You might check out pro comp. Got a set of the xtreme A/T' s on my truck and a set of the regular A/T's on the little ladys xterra. There holding up good and get good traction in a variety of conditions

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: dogduster204take a look at the maxius bighorns.just put a set on the jeep and they work great offroad and nice on the road also.check les schwab

+1 mine are ready to be replaced, but i have almost 35000 miles on them. i have never gotten more than 20000 out of any other brand. they were right at $600 installed.

Originally Posted By: blutoi got my tires at sams no questions ask on how they got flat if cant fix then i get a new one.

after driving through two foot of snow in two wheel drive i will never use another tire bfg at/ko. have 6 ply tread and 3 ply side wall. i have 45000 miles on mine and still have 8/32 left. most hwy some rocks some mud

+1 on Sam's. I put a set of BFGoodrich All Terrain tires on my 03 Silverado P/U. I hunt in the thorns and limestone hills of S. Tx brush country and Sam's put 5 or 6 new tires on the truck during first couple of years, most @ no charge due to low wear (all due sidewall punctures). Their road hazard guarantee is bulletproof!

Regards,
hm

Here in NE Oklahoma we have blue flint rocks on lots of country roads. Those sharp little rocks will test a tires puncture resistance like no others. Maxxis tires are very popular around here. My 1 ton pumper I use at work has been on Goodyear Wranglers and Uniroyal Laredos the last couple of years and I wouldn't even consider wasting my money on them. The Maxxis Bravo 751 tires we run on our farm trucks will last as long as any tire and have fewer flats as well. Oh BTW, cooool avatar.

I bought a new set of first rate M&S tires from a local guy installed and with all the service gee gaws suprisingly cheaper than Tirerack.com.

I've been using Hercules A/W's & A.T's for several years, because they have an extra ply in the sidewalls (3 versus the normal 2) 235/85 R 16 E. Haven't torn a sidewall in a few years.
Mark

I just went threw this same thing 4 months ago. I went with mickey thompsons mtz. there mud tires but work awsome on and off road. I have 10,000 miles on mine all ready and you can hardley tell they have any wear. I rotate every oil change and they havent choped at all. There still nice and flat across the tread with. The quit on the highway compared to all other mud tires i have had. They preform all most as good a swampers in the nasty stuff. I have went threw stuff that guys with me look over and say here we go were getting stuck this time. And wont even spin a tire. I am very happy with the MTZ. I looked for a week at reviews and talked to several tire shops and all recommended the mtz and know i know why. Most of all the reviews i looked at the mtz were up there with the best as well. They also have a three ply side wall for rock crawling. I have sure put mine to the test and i am very happy with them. And the way they are wearing i just cant belive how well and little they are wearing. I had a pair of hancook MT and only got 10,000 miles out of the tires all together. If i keep rotating these i will hit 40,000 miles easy and more like 50,000 They are advertized i think as a 50,000 mile tire and i belive they will do it with out a problem. And i pull a boat and a 18ft car trailer with atv mowers all the time. They were 1000.00 for the set mounted and balanced at the local tire shop.

Back