223 bullet for whitetail

Frontiersman

I'm looking for a bullet to load for whitetail in my R-15. I was going to try the 65 gr sierra gameking, but I cannot find any for sale anywhere. Any suggestions of another to try? I was going to just buy a box of factory ammo until I saw it started at @$40 a box!

We have killed a couple with the Winchester 64g power points and they worked well on both occasions. One was a bamflop with high shoulder shot(pass through) and the other was a behind the shoulder shot pass through--ran about 15 yards or so. Range for both was close--25 and 40 yards. TnTnTn

Originally Posted By: WI3DerBarnes TSX, 53, 55, 62, or 70gr.

I would go with one of these two. I killed a nice little forky with a Sierra 63 Gr. SMP in a 22-250 and it did a good job.

DAB

I would think nosler partition 60gr would work, i have not shot any deer with them, but they do a good job on coyotes, the main thing with any .224 bullet on a whitetail is going to be bullet placement.

60g NP absolutely!! Out to 200-250 yards I would see no reason not to use it on medium sized whitetails.

Bet they get to the far side if not exit most the time with a lung shot.

There are a few that are suited to deer sized game. The Nosler partition and 62gr Barnes are going to be your best bet, simply because of weight retention and penetration. The 70gr Barnes may not stabilize in your gun though. It is longer than a "lead" 70gr and may require a 1-7" twist or 1-8" Twist. I believe the Remington is a 9 twist. Shot placement is critical as it is with any caliber. The 64gr SP will work but may come apart easier. There is some big whitetails in NY. Use the best bullets you can find. Load up some quality bullets, sight in and good luck.

Adam

P.S. With the increasing number of AR owners out there, this question will be coming up much more frequently. The 223 can be used for deer sized game effectively with good bullets and shot placement. Lets try not to turn this into a 17HMR thread. Thanks

I'm with the 60 grain Nosler Partition guys.
My kids and I all use NP's for deer hunting, and we never had one lost Deer using them.
I do know there are other good bullets, like the others mentioned here, but when you have something working for you, it's hard to change.

The 60g. Nosler Partition will do a great job. I have shot several deer with these bullets and no problems. Usually dont go 25 yards or less and I have shot them to 150 yards using these bullets...

Never understood why someone would use a .223 for deer. Will it kill one? Sure. Is it a good choice, no. I know I going to hear about all the successful hunts with it. That still doesn't make it a big game cartridge. We need to show respect for the animals we hunt and use an appropriate caliber. Just my opinion.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sandhillshunterNever understood why someone would use a .223 for deer. Will it kill one? Sure. Is it a good choice, no. I know I going to hear about all the successful hunts with it. That still doesn't make it a big game cartridge. We need to show respect for the animals we hunt and use an appropriate caliber. Just my opinion.

Well not all whitetail, are as big as they grow in the nebraska. Here in Texas where I hunt I good buck may weigh 125 lbs field dressed. And a doe 100 lbs. A .223 is more than enough for that size game I wouldn't call them big game, they are more medium size game here. My thoughts are if the government says 5.56mm is big enough for the military to take down 200 lb men. My .223 is big enough to kill a 150 lb whitetail.

The main reason the military stays with the 5.56 is because of cost. In the early years of the war, the military was trying to get as many 7.62's as the could. Wonder why? If it's such a great choice for deer, why do so many states ban the use of it on them? If someone must use it, use the 60 gr. partition. Keep your shots close and wait for a good shot. I have used this bullet out of my Swift with so so results on antelope, which is about the same size as smaller deer. But even jumping up to the swift, it's marginal at best.

sandhillshunter said:
The main reason the military stays with the 5.56 is because of cost.

Whatever, if this was true we would still be flying P 51's and not spending multi million dollars on one jet. If cost was so important they wouldn't be spending billions of dollars on Research and Development of new weapons.

I am simply saying to know what your own limitations are and make an responsible shot. I could shoot a deer with a 12 ga slug from 25 yds, but if I hit it in the guts it is still going to run off. Shot placement is paramount with any round or game, big or small. If you feel comfortable with a .223 by all means use it. If you have concerns then don't use it.

As for me I have killed more deer with my .22 hornet, than I ever did with my 30.06, by the way I sold the .06, but I still have the Hornet.

"Whatever, if this was true we would still be flying P 51's and not spending multi million dollars on one jet. If cost was so important they wouldn't be spending billions of dollars on Research and Development of new weapons."

That's just silly! Prove me wrong about the statement I made. The last report that was done by the military basically said that there are better choices but cost was the limiting factor. The 5.56 has had very mixed reviews in the sandbox.

"I am simply saying to know what your own limitations are and make an responsible shot"

Well said!

I guess, I'll just agree to disagree on whether the .223 or hornet for that matter, is a good deer cartridge and leave it at that.

Last edited:
I think everybody will agree its not the 'best' deer gun around, but when you only have one gun it works. Even if you have more guns thats better suited, and you just want to use the 223, well so be it. ed

The reason the military uses the weak little 223 on 200lb men is because it very rarely kills them... It takes more people out of the war to deal with the wounded then the dead.

Think about it...

There are several reasons our goverment used the .223 one I read is mag capacity for fire power and the weight involved for the men to carry several mags of ammo for fire power is the big plus. I would hope our Goverment would be looking for something new all the time that would improve our capabilities. But the one thing I can assure you is "Money" is the last thing to cross their minds. And I agree a .223 is not the best choise for hunting deer but if it came down to only using the absolute best round, there would only be a few calibers out there. I would rather shoot a deer with a .223 than some of the handgun rounds that are legal in many States. And how about the States that allow #35 recurves in archery season not saying anything is wrong with it. Just saying the standards and thought process involved seems a little strange one is "not humane" but the other is for a quick kill?

Originally Posted By: 2Toms.223 is to small to make a clean kill.

I was with several other hunters culling does and bucks and we killed 51 in 4 hours most with .223's and 22-250's from 75 to 250yds all clean kills so its possible. We had a blood trail dog that morning and never had to use him.

But I would not buy a .223 to be my deer rifle either even for these Texas whitetails.

Last edited:
I'd take a guy who can shoot a .223 over a guy who misses with a .300 Ultramag any day of the week. Proper bullet choice and placement are far more important than headstamp.

Back