Savage model 12 barrel replacement ?

mudgger

I know I've seen some posts on this but I tried searching and can't find them.
Can some one tell me something about savage FV12 22-250 barrel replacement? Thanks.

Lots of folks are doing it. From all I've heard "Piece o' Cake". You'll need a barrel wrench, go/no-go guage or a sized case. Bust the nut, unscrew the barrel, screw the new one on,set the chamber depth, tighten the nut and go shoot. See- wasn't that easy!! Probably a bit harder than that, but it is easy!!

for your first barrel swap it is not a bad idea to have a gunsmith "bust the nut". It is hard the first time to say the least. Other wise, plan on a fixture for your vise. Ive had great luck with butting two oak blocks together on a drill press, boring a hole the slightly smaller diameter as the action thru it centered on where the blocks join, coat this channel with rosin, place the stripped reciver in the channel you made in the blocks and then tighted the block in the vise so that the two halves have a secure grip of the action. Thats the easy part.

Next Make sure your insurance is up to date, then call your family physician and let him know youll be needing your new hernia looked at.

After this is lined up, get a big arse breaker bar that will fit over the action wrench that you purchased for whomever, I like the triple s model, but all will "work".

Break the nut loose, and then go from there.

In all reality, its simple from there out, its just that them nuts are TORQUED something fierce from the factory. Just remember to get it back on tight, just doesnt need to be as tight as savage sends them.

To make the job as easy as possible get a barrel that is already chambered to your new caliber,Savage shooter.com and shilen are two that come to mind, also make sure the bolt is correct.

Its an easy job, besides the 1st time getting the nut lose, take a look over on the Savage site, they will have all the info and bbls you need.

I read that some just lay the rifle on the carpet.. using the wrenches, they strike the barrel wrench with a hammer, kinda like a home made Impact wrench to break the initial 75 lbs of torque that Savage supposedly uses. I havent tried it yet, but thats what I found from some of my searches. Good luck, and post pics !

Simple after breaking the factory torqed nut loose remove the barrel,clean the threads on receiver and new barrel, start the new barrel into the receiver, insert go guage or dummy case and close bolt, turn the new barrel till it stops on the guage and back off a hair check for case binding, if good tighten nut while holding barrel in place and torque nut with a couple taps from a 2x4.
Put back together and shoot it.

Originally Posted By: skinin_bonzwhere do i get a wrench??
what will fit my 22 250 with out a bolt head

You can get a wrench from sharp shooter supply:
http://www.sharpshootersupply.com/
I think midway has them also.

You can switch to any short action chambering with the same bolt head, but you can switch to a different bolt head also.
for 22-250 you could use .243Win, 7mm-08Rem,.308Win too many to list.
Here's some different chamberings from Shilen barrels:
http://www.shilen.com/chambers.html

For more info on barrel swapping check these out:
http://www.switchbarrel.com/Savage%20FAQ.htm
http://savageshooters.com/SavageForum/

Hope this helps.

Originally Posted By: yotenaylorAfter this is lined up, get a big arse breaker bar that will fit over the action wrench that you purchased for whomever, I like the triple s model, but all will "work".

Break the nut loose, and then go from there.

In all reality, its simple from there out, its just that them nuts are TORQUED something fierce from the factory. Just remember to get it back on tight, just doesnt need to be as tight as savage sends them.

Rather than using a breaker bar, it's easier and more effective to hit the nut wrench with a steel hammer. Fist give it a tap, if the barrel has been off before, that will loosen the nut. Next give it a RAP with the hammer, if it is a stainless nut and barrel, that will loosen the nut. If it is a blued barrel and nut it will take 2-3 THWACKS!!! with the hammer to break the nut loose. In the factory, the actions and barrels are assembled and then blued. The blueing salts migrate into the barrel thread and lock then up tight.

Most of the "gorillas" that put the barrels on in the factory are women, some weighting up to 120 lb. and they use a nut wrench about a foot long.

Its a little known fact that Savage employs several sasquatches to torque their barrels onto their actions.

Some might claim that woman put them on, but as anyone who has taken one off and they know that good old bigfoot is behind this. I'm sure he's got all the 55 grn Vmax's and the primers as well.

Honestly, if you can change your own oil, or spark plugs a barrel swap on a Savage is pretty easy. You'll need the wrench, and while your ordering it, try and get a bigger recoil lug, from the same place. It may or may not improve performace, but the lack of engraving will make bedding easier.

A sized case will work, but a head space gauge is better and pretty cheap to boot.

Back