Custom Predator Call Builder - What a GLAMOROUS job!

TonyTebbe

For all that believe that being a custom predator call builder is a glamorous job...think again!
smile.gif
smile.gif

Today's chore: Decoring cow horns. These were fresh cutoff horns that have been in a black plastic garbage for the past 5 months in the sun. Ripened up just right to decore them, black ooze and all. Glamorous job....eh? I just wish I could somehow let ya'll experience the unique smell.
smile.gif
smile.gif

IMG_3355.jpg

Here are the cores.

IMG_3356.jpg

Here is a picture of my exclusive, never before seen, horn drying process. Very, very high tech!
smile.gif

IMG_3360.jpg

There's some great looking color in this batch of horns. I scraped off the majority of the crusty parts, while they are still soft and gooey. Makes for alot less sanding later. Unfortunately, most have been tipped when the cows were younger, so they have a stump of a tip. They'll turn into latex howlers or put up for sale, as they are no good to me for my 1 piece howler designs.

IMG_3357.jpg

Thought I'd share the glamorous lifestyle of a custom predator call builder. I can't believe everyone wouldn't want in on this gig!
smile.gif

Tony

Tony, I was raised on a Farm, been there and done that, you never forget the smell. Grandad and my Dad used to save the horns for some Ole Gentleman, he would come by every now and then and get the horns. I always had to get them from the pack house for him, sure did hate that job.
frown.gif

Yes I do. It looked alot like this:

ball_and_chain1.jpg

Hahahaha!
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif
smile.gif

I'm not complaining about my job...parts of it stink, but ALL of "corporate america" stinks! I'll never go back.

Tony

Haha! You guys crack me up.

Looks like you'll have some busy days at the "office" soon...
grin.gif
I think I like the finished product better, but it just goes to show how glamourous the process really is.

Tony,

As we have discussed before, I admire that you have "taken life by the horns"
grin.gif
and made a living from what you love to do. But there are obviously parts of your job that would make me gag!
sick.gif

You going to shine a set of those up and send them to WV??
smile.gif

Today is howler build day. I'll take pictures of the progress. One is going to the feedlot manager where these horns came from, another for a customer, and another is heading to WV (Yes, Hillbilly1...yours.)

Let the horn dust fly........

Thanks all...Tony

As luck would have it, I forgot my camera in my calling buddy's truck yesterday. I can't afford to forgo the howler building today. I'm proceeding without photos, but using different horns than these.

Tony

I just got my camera from my buddy tonight. Here is the first howler from this batch. It's for the feedlot manager that sent me the horns. Due to none of the horns being suitable for my 1 piece designs, this one is being fit with a Cedar River toneboard.

IMG_3377.jpg

IMG_3376.jpg

They didn't clean up that bad, eh?
smile.gif

Tony

I guess I'm lucky. Decoring horns doesn't seem as smelly as some of you say. {And to think, I currently have to do my boiling in the house...on the stove. LOL}
Then again, I bet that's due to my sinus' being "burnt out" by 20+ years of asthma inhaler use. LOL
Tony, if you decide to part with any of those raw boys, I hope I'm paying attention & have the extra $$ on hand!

Back