6 x 45

GregW,

Tell us about your bolt gun that you're having built. That's something I've had in mind for a while too.

I have a Stevens 200 in 223 that I have seriously considered getting a switch barrel in 6x45.

It will be a Howa SS action with a McGowen tube twisted 1:10" and finished at 21". Contour will be about a #2. B&C olive and black webbing stock, tuned trigger, etc.

I'm pumped...

Man, that sounds nice GregW. Be sure to post a photo of your new toy once it arrives. I'm anxious to see.

As well, I too have considered how a Howa / Vanguard action might work for that cartridge and was actually thinking of it lately. I have always liked the feel of the Howa actions.

Howa's sure are sweet feeding actions...

I'd be scrounging the used rack of your local gunshop for a short action rifle. Can probably find one for under 350 or so.

I bought a barreled action of gunbroker and after selling the new takeoff, I'll be into an action for about 300 bucks.

Sounds like you guys are building some nice bolt guns.

Back to ARs, what barrel lengths and twist rates does everyone like? I was thinking my next upper would be a 6.8 in an 18" barrel and it still might be but maybe I should be looking at 6x45. Or maybe one of each....
cool.gif

My 16" SUM is a 12 twist.
The 20" Shilen is a 10 twist.

Just shot the 16"er again yesterday and it is just the cutest, most deadly little thing! Re-confirmed my zero and it shot 3 into .5 like it always does. Then banged steel with it a while...
Mike went out of his way to build one of his intergral compensators for this gun in Hbar profile...
6x45044.jpg

It works great! There is hardly any noticeable muzzle flip and I can watch my impacts easily. For anyone considering a lightweight (7.5lbs, including 1.5lbs of USO on top) calling AR, this is your baby!
Pic is before I 'accurized' it
wink.gif
with Krylon...
6x45005.jpg

Greg, your bolt gun sounds like a winner!

Erslll,

I'm ashamed to admit that I don't remember the twist rate on my Dtech. If Mike is listening in, maybe he can chime in on this one. My barrel length is 20" HMC contour.

If you're looking for a good predator round in an AR, you may want to give some serious consideration to the 6x45. It's more of a cartridge than it's small appearance shows. Mike has some experience with the 6.8 too, so you might want to ask him.

Last edited:
I like the 6x45 but I went with the 6mm WOA. Shooting 70gr. speer TNT's with 29.5grs of H4895 from a 20" 1x8 twist barrel at 3050fps, and deadly accurate.

My hunting partner has one with a 22" 1x10 twist that shoots the same bullet with 30grs of H4895 at 3275fps.

Both of these are AR's.

In my R25 in .243 with 20" barrel shooting the same bullet with 40grs. of Varget it shoots at 3250fps.

The 6mm WOA is a very efficient cartridge.

Last edited:
The 6 WOA is a great round. I build the 6 WOA and I also build the 6 x 6.8 (simply a necked-down 6.8) The problem that you run into is where do you draw the line as far as performance. The 6 x 45 is not the performer that the 6 x 6.8 is, but then look at the investment. You have readily available, and VERY inexpensive magazines. The brass is probably the most available brass of any rifle round, and the bolt is the same as a .223 bolt.

I sell a pile of the 6 x 45 simply because they are a "good bang for the buck" build. Most of my customers that feel the 6 x 45 isn't enough simply by-pass the 6 WOA or 6 x 6.8 and have me build a .243 WSSM. Again, you are getting into more expensive brass, and magazines, but you are pushing the 70 grain bullets at 3600-3700 FPS and the 80 grain bullets are doing 3400-3500 FPS, so the "bang for the buck" with the more expensive brass and magazines is there.

I am very intrigued by the 6x45 and would love to have another D-tech in my safe but don't know that I want to wait that long.
blush.gif
laugh.gif

Back to the original question that started this whole thread.....Anyone know of other sources for a 6x45 barrel? I was talking with a local gun guy today that mentioned that Oly Arms might be a source but I haven't seen any mention of the 6x45 on their website.

Oly no longer produces the 6 x 45, as they are too busy with the dat-to-day black-gun market.

If you are just looking for a barrel, drop me a PM. I may be able to help you out.....

Originally Posted By: DtechOly no longer produces the 6 x 45, as they are too busy with the dat-to-day black-gun market.

If you are just looking for a barrel, drop me a PM. I may be able to help you out.....

I would be interested in a barrel. PM was sent.

Back