Opening Day Early Season Goose Season

MN Hunter

The opening day was insane. Counted over 400 Honkers flying high to get out of Dodge, once the shooting started. Myself and a sidekick headed out early to sneak in on the honkers. We got to our spot and it was foggy. The water was you and were able to walk out to a muddy sand bar and set up. The fisrt group to come in we each dumped a banded bird. The next group that came in I dumped 2 birds and 1 was banded. 3rd group to that locked up 1 bird took a dirt nap from my hunting partner and was banded. The 4th group to that had there legs out and locked up, I went to shoot my last goose and dumped him, and winged another and yelled to my buddie only shoot 2 and he was able to do it. Walking over to get the that folded I noticed a little jewelry on his leg aswell, making 10 birds dumped and 5 with bands it was a very exciting hunt.
Goose12.JPG

Goose21.JPG

Goose3.JPG

5 that were banded
New_Image8.JPG

Sounds like ya'll had a good time.
Ya'll would really like the early (resident) Canada Goose season here in NC.
1) 9-1 to 9-30 (no Sunday huntin' in NC)
2) 15 per day limit
3) unplugged gun
4) shoot 'till 30 minutes after official sunset
5) use of electronic callers is permitted.
Next thing ya' know we'll be able to shoot 'em over bait.
But, I doubt you will find very many pieces of jewelry on our birds.

Never now you could use the E-callers on the honkers, I know snows are ok to do that with. No sunday thats the best time because all the other hunters are in the Gods chapel praying for a good hunt

Cool way to go! MY bro-in-law and I have been out everyday since it opened on Sept 1 and only have 10 geese, 2 of which were banded. They just don't seem to be around here, well at least our area, I took a drive up to the Horicon marsh refuge and there was alot there. Go figure. My wife and I were in town last night at Menards and theres some city ponds next to it that had geese, one had bands on both his legs! Way to go on the geese!

MN Hunter, I live in south eastern WI about 20-25 mins from Horicon marsh if you know where that is. Thats cool the birds were banded here, I got one once with a band that was 16 years old and was banded only a few mile from where I shot it, guess it was one that probably never left WI. Was out yeasterday and all we saw was a loner that wouldn't come in to the calling, we have till the 15th, but bowhunting starts this weekend and I got my eye on big old doe with no fawns. Good luck to ya!

nateg NO idea were the Horicon marsh is never heard of it. The oldest band so far was 9 y/o female banded in Maine. Good luck on that BIG doe

Well...missed that big doe on opening day! I just didn't take my time and shot right over her. So now it's back to geese for a bit. I jumped and got two yesterday and the third got away, saw him later while we were set up in a wheat field but it wouldn't come to calling. Today's the last day of our early season. We have 14 now, not the best but not to bad either. Good luck to ya!

Back