Iron Sights on AR

yoteslayer77

How do you shoot your iron sights? Nose on the charging handle or the same cheek to stock weld you use when you shoot a scoped AR. Just curious how some of the more skilled shooters on this forum shoot.

NTCH

Nose to charging handle

Carry on.

smile.gif

OK- well perhaps I can help with this one if any question at all. This can be very lengthy but bottom line up front:

Shoulder it naturally, ask someone to take a look at your position (stockweld)- that should be close enough as long as you are consistant. Getting your eyeball all the way close or back is not the issue- if you don't get enough light through the rear apt- you tend to move closer. centering your eye in the rear apt will not make a difference- My team tested this on purpose at 600 yards open sight- moved POI about 6 inches (

the last blurb cut off my message- just focus on the front sight tip- failure to do and you have a rat poop in the drawr group. Don't fret on nose of eye ball- keep it natural. Brain wash yourself on the front sight tip- period. keep Center. jhg

When I was in the Infantry they always told me nose to the charging handle and thats what I did. Now that I am a free man I just focus on the front post and I don't notice any difference in accuracy. I can still shoot expert too!

Last edited:
I am a Hasbeen with 27 years in the USMC, USMC Distinguished Rifleman, NRA High Master competitor, National Champion with service rifle, numerous state championships w SR, 7 or 8 time Presidents 100 award/ top 10 a few times, MC Matches championship, senior chief instructor NATO Penthalon teams, MC Marksmanship Schools instructor, SS & Recon - it is at least 90% front sight tip, again front sight tip- don't worry about the nose to the charging handle- if you are thinking about this you're not focused on the FST. Stay Center.

Originally Posted By: NativeCraftNose pressed firmly on the charging handle.

BTW, I thought Sgt. Hartman was training 'em on the M-14, no?

My bad it was Sergent Highway in Heartbreak Ridge.

Back