IMR 3031 and .224 calibers???

Z

I don't hear much about this powder being used in the 223 or 22-250. With a 52 gr. BTHP it shoots a little better in both of my rifles than Varget yet I don't hear much about it. Anybody else use it?

It is a long grain tubular powder that is a pain in the butt to use in a powder measure...probably steers folks away.

I shot it in a 22/250 with the 50g Bullet for a while, unreal accurate at lower velocities.

I am currently using it in a 22-250 with 52gr bullets. I had a pound and it shot good so I loaded up all I had but will be looking at some other powders now that I am out.

Gentlemen, thanks for the replies.

Venatic, what powders are you considering and why?

Anybody else please chime in.

If any of you guys were to find out how great IMR 3031 is in a 220 Swift trust me, you would be laughing out loud. A OLD timer (he was way old too- in his 80's and used the hood of his old pickup as his shooting bench. He had two favorite loads for his two favorite guns: Namely a old M77 Swift and an even older Win 70 in .225 Win. The swift loved 35 grains of IMR 3031 with the 55 grain Hornady SX bullet. Not max or even close to max, but took a good eye as to how many holes were in his targets. Three shots? Five? Cant tell.

I never owned a .225 Win but I had a Swift and I still use this load today. Brass and barrels last way forever with this load and it is just plain fun to shoot. Gun is easy to clean as well. I think on Sunday I must dig this fine combo out and get it ready. We got wolves in them there hills!

3031 was my "go to" powder for my 35 Whelen AI for several years. And, I used it for my 30-30 also, until I found that IMR-4895 shot better.

I used to use IMR 3031 some but have gotten away from it some. The reason was mostly the shape/length of the powder. My main use was for the 308.

Used it a bit in the 22-250 years ago w/55g nbt's. Was decent for accuracy/velocity but the only reason I bought it was because there wasn't any IMR4895 on the shelf.

Z
I am going to look at picking one of the other 4 powders that I first tryed when I first got this 22-250. Varget, Reloder 15, Ramshot Big Game and Benchmark.Reloder 15 looked very good so I will probrably start there.

Thanks for your replies gentlemen.

Venatic,
I don't have any of the other powders that you mentioned, but I would be interested to know what you find out with the Varget.

I use it in both my .223s and while it doesn't get the velocity other powders are capable of producing, I'm more than satisfied with the accuracy. Yotes around here hate 3031.
I also get good results in my .204. Both 32 and 39 grain BKs love the 3031, although the 40-grain Bergers prefer H4895.

Z, for little critters, I'm loading 40-grain V-Max over 24.5 grains of 3031. Average about 3425 fps. For yotes, I'm shooting 50-grain Speer TNT HPs over 25 grains of 3031 and they chrono 3165 fps. Both are very accurate, right in the .50" range.

Saskcoyote,
Thanks for the info. I shoot 52 grain Sierra BTHPs behind 25.0 grains of 3031. I have not used the Speer TNTs because I thought they might be to explosive and splash. What have you found? I used to live 16 miles south of the border so have hunted the line a lot. Where do you live?

Z: I've never had a problem with splash. In fact, Speer advises the 50-grain TNTs shouldn't be used above 3400 fps. Speer says it was designed specifically for calibers with .222 and .223 velocities. From what I've seen, you can't go wrong with the TNTs.

I hang out in a little city called Melville, about 90 miles northeast of Saskatchewan's capital, Regina. I head down to northeastern Montana three times each fall chasin' roosters. Been going there for years -- good fun, great people.

Saskcoyote,
I know where Melville is. I am from the little town of Plentywood. Watched Canadian tv and listened to more Canadian radio stations than I did U.S. stations. Where do you hunt your roosters?

Last edited:
Z, I pass through Plentywood on my way south. Always take time to stop at Hi-Line Sports, neat little store. Plus, there's a liquor store that usually has some pretty good deals. LOL

Back