Optics?

sandhillshunter

My sons want to upgrade their glass on their deer rifles. The 3 scopes we are looking at are the Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14X44, Bushnell tactical 6500 2.5-16X42, and the Leupold Mark4 4.5-14X40 LR/T. The main reason we are upgrading is because they would like to learn how to dial turrets. Thought I would bounce this off of you guys and get your opinions.

To me, the Zeiss seems to have a lot better glass then either of the other two. The Zeiss doesn't have as much vertical adjustment as the others, and their customer service is not the best. Not for sure, but it looks like on their website that their turrets are plastic. Am I wrong? From what I've read, it does tracks well.

The Bushnell seems to have better glass then the Leupy but not as good as the Zeiss. A good friend of mine has this scope and I like it a lot, I like the turrets and they seem to track very well. I also like that the low side starts at 2.5 and not 4.5 like the others, as they will be hunting with these outfits. But the big downside with Bushnell, is their customer service sucks.

Now to the Leupold. while the glass isn't as good as conquest or 6500, it's still very good. I like the short M1's that can be had with this scope and they track good. Out of the three it's priced the highest, but they do have the best customer service out there. They also have more options then the other two.

Anyone that wants to help me out with this decision, please fire away!

I have not even looked through any of those scopes since they are way out of my comfort range in the dollars department, but, If I was spending that kind of cash on a scope, I would want it to work perfectly. And if it didn't for some reason, I would want it taken care of quickly and efficiently. Is the Leupold glass quality issue really worth the risk of ending up with a scope that won't track right and the manufacturer won't fix it? I would have to venture a guess that the Leupold glass is pretty darn great and your really just splitting hairs with the difference. I'd go Leupold but I'm too cheap to buy any of the mentioned models so take it for what it's worth.

Best of Luck

The answer is, Zeiss Conquest, the fixed 4x or the 3-9x40. Both those scopes have about 4" of eye relief; very important for a big game rifle. Others who own the 4.5-14, which quite honestly I've never used, may come along and support that scope.
I do own and use the two I mention, and with that long eye relief, and excellent glass, I am very happy with those scopes. They a very easy to use in the field. I think the glass is a tad better than Leupold's, and I own about 20 Leupolds to compare. Nothing wrong at all with Leupolds, I just think the Conquest is better.

When comparing you really need to go apples to apples. And sometimes that can be dificult.

For example I have a Conquest 6.5X20 and a Leupold 6.5X20. So a good thing to do is compare the two.

IMO the Zeiss glass is slightly better, but only slightly. They are very close.

IMO the Zeiss tracks better than the Leupold. But I have found that across the board. However my Leupold is the VXIII---not the new VX3. And the new VX3 is suppose to have better tracking. We have been discussing that on a few other posts, look them up. They should be on the first page or two.

The Leupold is a 30mm tube-so IMO it would be a little stronger.

The prices are pretty close if you shop for a good deal.

I have never used the Zeiss warranty so I can not speak to their warranty. However the Leupold warranty goes without saying-you know what kind of warranty you are getting when you buy a Leupold.

You mentioned that the Zeiss has plastic turrets. I have had 2 for several years, and I can honestly say that I have never noticed them to be plastic. I am not saying they are or are not, I just have not noticed it. I will check that out.

If I could afford a Zeiss or Leupold then the Bushnell would not be on my list. The other scope I would look at is the Sightron SIII. Tom.

I have several scopes, and without a doubt, the clearest is the Zeiss.

I have a 3x9 Conquest, and it is as clear as a bell! I would not hesitate purchasing another Zeiss.

I seem to be in the minority on glass quality. I have a Zeiss Conquest and a VXIII both in 6.5-20x. I used both on some longrange pd's this summer and my vote on glass quality went to Leupold hands down. The Zeiss may have even had a theoretical advantage since it was a 50mm vs 40mm obj on the Leupold. I'd trade my Conquest for a LR Leupold today if given the chance. Just sayin'.

Hey Tom, I was just going by the picture off their website. They just looked like plastic, might just be a bad picture. I just wanted to clear that up. Not saying anything bad about Zeiss. Hope you didn't take it that way.

What this all boils down to is my sons want to go with Zeiss, but I thinks they should get Leupold's. The scopes are for their rifles, so I should let them get what they want. Just been a Leupold guy for sometime now. I guess we really can't go wrong with either. Also want to ad, that I was pretty impressed with the 6500 tactical. But Bushnell's terrible customer service out ways the positives.

I have a half dozen Leupys and a couple Swarovski.
Although i dont have a Zeiss, they are definitely quality glass.
IMO Zeiss and Leupold run off and leave Bushnell. Most of my experience puts them in another class than Bushnell and I think their prices bare that out,
That being said keep in mind Leupold has quite a few quaility categories these days, Rifleman, VXII, VXIII, VX3, LPS, Mark4.
I have never regreted buying Leupold.
You might even consider a used Leupy (with their warranty and all?)

Also Congrats and Thanks for getting your sons involved in hunting...Thats good for our sport and a good Dad!

Thanks for the kind words, SaltyDog.

Would someone be able to post up pictures of the Conquest hunting turret? If so, thanks!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: sandhillshunterHey Tom, I was just going by the picture off their website. They just looked like plastic, might just be a bad picture. I just wanted to clear that up. Not saying anything bad about Zeiss. Hope you didn't take it that way.

No problem what so ever. All I was saying was that I never noticed that they were plastic. For all I know they very well could be. I need to check my scope to see if it is(too late for me if it is). However even if it is plastic they track very well.

I am a handicapped person, and can not get to where my rifles are right now. Or I would go and check the turret out right now. Sorry about that. If my friend comes over I will have him get the rifle out of the safe and take a look. Tom.

That's what I thought, but you never know on here. When ever you get to the turrets is fine, I just really appreciate the help! You know, the Sightrons did cross my mind, but have never had my hands on one. Have read many good things on them though. Thanks!

Back