not too proud of this kill

psdavidson

been awhile since I been on here figured I would post this up.
well took this chicken stealing pup. I been watching 2 pups for awhile and wanted to wait till they got bigger before I took them but farmers chickens were more important. I called in one pup and an adult in. the older took cover and the youngin charged. with no shot on the other I went ahead and took the shot. after this day no other chickens have been missing. I wished I had time to hunt the adults but the seem to left the area.
click

well not too proud it was so young I guess.
the chickens are happy LOL I just wanted my first kill with a rifle to be well... bigger.

congrats on your first rifle kill, and be proud of it, you did the farmer a good job by stopping the killing so you have every reason to be proud, ryan

thanks, I dont have much time to hunt but try to get out every chance. I left for work the other day at 330am and it was the first time I heard yotes so close to the house. with in 300yds. so I will doing some investigating. I live in a housing development stuck inside farmland.

Don't worry to much about it. I had it all planned out in my head how my first coyote would be taken. I had been watching way too many coyote hunting DVDs. I was going to be sitting at the edge of big open hay field, gun rested nicely in my shooting sticks, call in the other hand... I was going to call him in from about 200 yards across the field. I'd let him close the distance to about 80 yards, cause that's where the short grass started. Now there's nothing between me and him but air and opportunity. ...Stop him with a bark, and WHAM... DRT he'd never hear the loud ka-boom!

Turned out my first one was by total accident. I was deer hunting and he walked right up on me from behind. He was about 20 yards away in the thick stuff when I dropped him. It was nothing like I had planned but I was still happy as could be! You should be too!

wow guys thanks, I guess I thought I would be flamed for such a kill. kinda like killing Bambi with spots. thanks for the support. I am stoked for this hunting season

Congrats!

I don't care if it was the size of my wife's Grandma's pomeranian. If it was killing chickens, it needs to go. Very few (if any) folks here would give you grief for protecting private property. You've gotta do what you gotta do.

I just wish the government felt the same way about wolves.

You should be happy, predator hunting in some cases is just
trying to get rid of problem animals for farmers or other
landowners, you did that by killing this coyote! The adults
are still there, go back in a couple weeks and use some pup
whines and see if you can get the adults. IMO you should
never shoot something you aren't proud of. I am proud of
every animal I trap and hunt and if I wasn't I wouldn't
be doing it. Sure it may not have been the biggest yote but
it's still a trophy and you did a farmer a favor!

Originally Posted By: 4949shooterSometimes ya gotta do what ya gotta do....
Exactly.
grin.gif

Originally Posted By: hillbilly1Don't worry to much about it. I had it all planned out in my head how my first coyote would be taken. I had been watching way too many coyote hunting DVDs. I was going to be sitting at the edge of big open hay field, gun rested nicely in my shooting sticks, call in the other hand... I was going to call him in from about 200 yards across the field. I'd let him close the distance to about 80 yards, cause that's where the short grass started. Now there's nothing between me and him but air and opportunity. ...Stop him with a bark, and WHAM... DRT he'd never hear the loud ka-boom!

Turned out my first one was by total accident. I was deer hunting and he walked right up on me from behind. He was about 20 yards away in the thick stuff when I dropped him. It was nothing like I had planned but I was still happy as could be! You should be too!

Very similar situation happened to me only I was turkey hunting....gave out a little raspy hen call and next thing I know I have a yote jumping over my feet...12 gauge full choke at about 8 feet = 1 big silver dollar sized hole!!

Nothing to be ashamed about killing a livestock killing predator no matter what the size.
good shootin'
johnny

Back