Primer pocket swaging?

fw707

What's the best swaging tool?
I've got a source for some Federal .223 brass that has crimped primers. I borrowed a buddy's RCBS swaging tool that screws into a press like a loading die, and I've done about 500 cases so far. It works pretty good. I can do around 300 cases an hour without getting in a hurry, but when I prime the cases the primer goes in pretty hard. I can prime regular commercial cases easily (and quickly) with a Lee hand priming tool, but I have to use the priming attachment on my Redding press to prime the swaged brass, and I usually screw up a couple of primers in every 50 or so.

Does the Dillon tool do a good job?

I've heard that the Dillon is the way to go, that it works easily. I haven't invested in one yet, for now I have a RCBS cutter on a cordless drill that works fairly easily, other than giving me a case of spankers fist from trying to hold onto them. I think it was about twelve bucks.

The Dillon swag is fast and easy to use. My brother has the RCBS setup that screws into the press and it just seems to cumbersome.

Dillon

I would have bought the RCBS but a dillon fell from the sky I was in it 40 bucks for the small primer pocket swager and guide rod. I did 600 in a little over an hour (I was in a hurry)

Quote:My brother has the RCBS setup that screws into the press and it just seems to cumbersome.

It's not bad once you have it adjusted and locked. You need to be careful adjusting it, though, as it can bend the pins and mash the swager heads if you don't understand the concept.
Switching from .308 to .223 and back is kinda cumbersome, though, until you know the trick.
I've been using the same RCBS set since 1983, though, on both .308 and .223 and it's still working fine. It takes about as long to swage a case as it would to size it, for reference.
Never tried the Dillon, but it costs about 3X the RCBS, so unless you're into some high-volume reloading, it would take a lot of cases to break even on the price.

Either one is going to do a good job, and I like the "feel" I get seating the primer in a swaged pocket better than one that's been reamed or hand-cut. Very consistant.

You might need to swage a bit deeper sounds like you aren't quite getting all of the crimp. When you bring the handle up how much pressure is there to pop the case off? Mine are usually a bit sticky. For the last bit I squeeze the handle and press frame together it's smoother than giving it a bump and rattling my table. I use a Lee hand primer and they go in pretty smooth.

peace.
unloaded

Don't waste the time, money or effort on Federal 223 brass. I have in the past and got one to two reloads out of it before the primer pockets were too loose to use.

I adjust mine down until it's just about to hit the bottom of the primer pocket (I start high and "eyeball" the depth until it's about .010 from bottoming out, that's seems about right for a good radius), then the "flare" on the base of the swagers small section will slightly radius the pocket at the base and allow the primer to start easily.
The setup for the depth is fairly critical.
I think you need to go a bit deeper and the problem will disappear as soon as you break that razor edge (where the crimp was cut) over.

Last edited:
Quote:I have in the past and got one to two reloads out of it before the primer pockets were too loose to use.

Perfect to use as hunting rounds, since I never find them anyway.
wink.gif

Doesn't hurt near as bad to lose that stuff as new brass or LC.

I picked up the Dillon. I love it. Just about $110 delivered.

I've swaged all types, LC, WCC, FC, RP, S&B, MAL, Winchester (commercial), Fiocchi. No problems so far. Have done about 5000rds in the last few months.

Originally Posted By: Evil_LurkerI adjust mine down until it's just about to hit the bottom of the primer pocket (I start high and "eyeball" the depth until it's about .010 from bottoming out, that's seems about right for a good radius), then the "flare" on the base of the swagers small section will slightly radius the pocket at the base and allow the primer to start easily.
The setup for the depth is fairly critical.
I think you need to go a bit deeper and the problem will disappear as soon as you break that razor edge (where the crimp was cut) over.

Thanks everybody for the advice and suggestions on the RCBS swager.
wink.gif

Lurker, I've adjusted the depth of the swager just like you said. It's about as deep as I can get it without putting too much pressure on the rod.
It's good to know that there's somebody on here besides me that's blessed with a calibrated eye!
laugh.gif

Originally Posted By: kelbroDon't waste the time, money or effort on Federal 223 brass. I have in the past and got one to two reloads out of it before the primer pockets were too loose to use.

kelbro,
if I can keep my source for the FC brass I won't worry about any more than one loading, and I won't be scratching around in the grass for a twice-fired case. I get the cases so cheap they're almost free, and they'll be used for hunting so I'll leave them if I have to hunt for them.
But I would like to have a swager that makes them easier and faster to load.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: unloadedYou might need to swage a bit deeper sounds like you aren't quite getting all of the crimp. When you bring the handle up how much pressure is there to pop the case off? Mine are usually a bit sticky. For the last bit I squeeze the handle and press frame together it's smoother than giving it a bump and rattling my table. I use a Lee hand primer and they go in pretty smooth.

peace.
unloaded

unloaded,
I have to give the handle as little whack to get the case to pop off. I can use my Lee hand primer just fine on commercial brass, but on the swaged stuff I have a problem.

Quote:Lurker, I've adjusted the depth of the swager just like you said. It's about as deep as I can get it without putting too much pressure on the rod.

Should be good to go. There is some additional pressure at the end of the stroke, since that's where the flare on the base of the swager head is forming the radius on the pocket mouth. That's actually the only part of the cycle that I would consider "swaging". The crimp-cutting part is easy, if you look close you'll find some very fine-gauge wire rings, which was the crimp.

Quote:It's good to know that there's somebody on here besides me that's blessed with a calibrated eye!

I'm a machinist, it comes in handy.
wink.gif

Quote:I have to give the handle as little whack to get the case to pop off.

Me too. It's an interference fit, so that's normal. Once in a while that crimp ring is left in the primer pocket, too, so you need to do a quick inspection.

On the cases you already did (that you're having a hard time starting the primers), if you take an inside chamfer tool to the pocket and give it a couple twists, they should quit giving you problems.
The only time I ever had an "accident" at the bench, it was trying to horse in a primer that felt tight. Those primers sound kinda loud from a foot away and it might make you jump a little.
I'm just sayin.
shocked.gif

Last edited:
Back