223 varget

243VLS

1 ragged hole at a 100 with 60gr.vmax and 26gr.varget 1/9" colt h-bar elite. does anybody shoot this load hows it shoot for you. and out of what

I used Varget some in my .223's and with 50 and 55gr bullets and it was very accurate but velocity was not close to what I expected so I went to faster burning powders. Varget shines with the heavier 65 to 80 gr bullets but hey if it shoots good....

That is close to my load in a Bushy 20". Any drop in velocity was not noticed in the coyotes I have killed with it. I use varget for .243 and 40/65 also.

With my 1:8 it is 26.5 grains and 60 grain vmax. (and some luck on the shooter) I think your definately on the right track!
60Vmax.jpg

Last edited:
I love varget for the 308 and 243. I also load the 22-250 and a few others with it now and seem to do well. I to started to load the 223 with it about a month ago. I am loading 68 bthp and the compression charge is making the dies put a light groove on the bullet. I think I am good to try benchmark which many people prefer more in the 223 since it is a faster burn rate and takes less of a charge.

Varget is THE powder for my .223 rifles, bolt guns as well as my varminter AR-15. I almost always use 50 to 55 grain bullets in my guns as they almost always touch each other at 100 yards. I do like that yessir I do. And if I lose 100 fps or so compared to other powders I dont care! I have tagged itty bitty ground squirrels out WAY past 300 yards and prairie dogs out past 400 yards with it so I am happy. Plus my brass last a good long time as well. I have no plans on ever being without a few pounds of Varget on my shelf.

Originally Posted By: 243VLS1 ragged hole at a 100 with 60gr.vmax and 26gr.varget 1/9" colt h-bar elite. does anybody shoot this load hows it shoot for you. and out of what

Is it temp sensitive??
DAB

Originally Posted By: shephermI love varget for the 308 and 243. I also load the 22-250 and a few others with it now and seem to do well. I to started to load the 223 with it about a month ago. I am loading 68 bthp and the compression charge is making the dies put a light groove on the bullet. I think I am good to try benchmark which many people prefer more in the 223 since it is a faster burn rate and takes less of a charge.
You will probably still have that ring on the bullet even without compressed charges. It is very common on the soft jacketed 224 bullets. It does not hurt a thing, they are just as accurate. The maker can fix the seater so it doesn't do it or you can polish it yourself.

Jack

Originally Posted By: Jack Roberts
You will probably still have that ring on the bullet even without compressed charges. It is very common on the soft jacketed 224 bullets. It does not hurt a thing, they are just as accurate. The maker can fix the seater so it doesn't do it or you can polish it yourself.

Jack

Yeah the ring is there on the lower charges also its just not as deep. I might call rcbs and see what they say since I have two sets of their dies and they both did the same thing. I too will never not have Varget on the bench since it does so good in the 308. I think I have about 25 lbs right now setting here waiting to be loaded.

Originally Posted By: dab
Is it temp sensitive??
DAB

No it is one of Hodgons extreme powders and isnt temp sensitive. In the 22-250 I have shot coyotes in cold and P-Dogs in 100+ and never had any problems. This is another reason that if I try another powder it will be Benchmark since it also is one of their extreme powders.

Last edited:
Quote:I might call rcbs and see what they say since I have two sets of their dies and they both did the same thing.

RCBS will fix it. They'll want a bullet and possibly your seater stem. They'll grind one to fit the ogive profile and problem solved.

Originally Posted By: Evil_Lurker Quote:I might call rcbs and see what they say since I have two sets of their dies and they both did the same thing.

RCBS will fix it. They'll want a bullet and possibly your seater stem. They'll grind one to fit the ogive profile and problem solved.

Great! I had to call them to get a decapping pin and they sent me the new style pin plus the rod in just a few days for free. They were great to deal with.

Varget and benchmark both work good for me in the .223. I will probably stay more with benchmark at this point, simply because it takes a little less to get there. blue

Originally Posted By: 243VLS1 ragged hole at a 100 with 60gr.vmax and 26gr.varget 1/9" colt h-bar elite. does anybody shoot this load hows it shoot for you. and out of what

I load that load and both my 8 twist RRAs will shoot it under 1/2".
It's my go to AR load.

Rick

Back