RRA Predator Pursuit Upper

DAB

I want to get an RRA Predator Pursuit upper with a 20" SS Heavy Match barrel / free floated / 1:8 twist / Wydle Chamber.

Your comments and opinions wanted.

DAB

I bought a Predator Pursuit upper and put it on a Stag lower with a RRA lower kit with the NM trigger. It was my first AR and shoots really well. I'm shooting 60 grain Vmax bullets with Benchmark powder and getting about .6" average groups. I'm happy with that. It is a little heavy. I bought a RRA Coyote Carbine and like it a little better mainly because it is lighter. It shoots between .3 and .4 with the 50 grain Vmax. I doubt if you will be disappointed with either one.

Drhart, is it the length that makes for the weight difference? How does the PPR barrel compare to the CR barrel in diameter?

I was looking at theses two as options as well and noticed the PPR is listed as lighter (8.1 lbs) than the CR (8.4 w same length bbl). The only other difference in the complete rifles is the stock and forend.

I like my Predator Pursuit but if you want a lightweight RRA, get their gov profile 16" midlength upper. Mine weighed about a pound lighter than my RRA 16" CAR Hbar upper and over 2 pounds lighter than my PP. After adding the free float tube, a half dozen 5 rd groups with different ammo averaged 1.15". It should do fine for calling.

RRAlight.jpg

Last edited:
2Gunner, I wondered about the weights as well. The barrel on the CC is lighter weight than the PP. I don't understand why the 20" Coyote Rifle is heavier than the PP. I would have prefered the 20" barrel but went with the 16" because of weight. Needless to say, with the way mine shoots, I'm happy. I wish someone who knows could tell us why the PP is lighter than the Coyote Rifle.

Get the predator pursuit and you will not look back. It is not too heavy to hunt with. I have hunted mine for several years now and it shoots LIGHTS OUT!. I am shooting 60 grain nosler ballitic tips with benchmark powder and have shot several 10 shot groups around the 3/4" mark at 100 yards so it is a shooter. It shoots a bunch of different loads very well. I love mine and if you get one you will in time love it too.. Good luck with whatever you decide.

Thanks for the info. Is the PP barrel visibly larger in contour or just noticably heavier? Do you have a set of calipers by chance? I would really like to go with a longer barrel too, but want to watch gun weight as much as possible.

Sounds like the PP gets a good review too, and I like that it does not have the flash hider. How bright is the stainless? Might need a beadblast?

+ 1 for the rra pp i thought it was a little heavy untill i picked up the rra varmint rifle with the bull barrel, dang now thats a boat anker. and you do NOT need a longer barrel than 20" a lot of guys actually use a 16, more barrel will just slow your projectile dawn and weigh you down. go on gunbroker.com and search rockriverarms predator pursuit.

"more barrel will just slow your projectile dawn "

A longer barrel gives more velocity. The only round's velocity that can suffer from a longer barrel is a 22LR. A 22LR's velocity peaks at approx. 16".

Jack

The DPMS looks like a good option too. It does look heavy, even in 16". Great reviews though, and 9 twist should run most rounds that will fit in the mag w/o excess seating depth.

Thanks

Originally Posted By: Jack Roberts"more barrel will just slow your projectile dawn "

A longer barrel gives more velocity. The only round's velocity that can suffer from a longer barrel is a 22LR. A 22LR's velocity peaks at approx. 16".

Jack

really? when does velocity peak on 223.?

Originally Posted By: 2GunnerOh, this could get interesting. Which; bullet, amount of which powder, twist, OAL... Just to get the basics.

DAB was asking about a Predator Pursuit upper although this would be a good discussion lets not get off topic please. I know DAB would appreciate it.

Originally Posted By: GreyhunterI like my Predator Pursuit but if you want a lightweight RRA, get their gov profile 16" midlength upper. Mine weighed about a pound lighter than my RRA 16" CAR Hbar upper and over 2 pounds lighter than my PP. After adding the free float tube, a half dozen 5 rd groups with different ammo averaged 1.15". It should do fine for calling.

RRAlight.jpg

That looks like a smart choice in a rifle for calling. I am a big believer in lighter weight rifles for calling, especially in the deep snow and where lots of ground is going to be covered. I use heavy guns for longer range varminting and lightweight ones for calling. I could be perfectly content with a setup like the one shown for a "do it all/all around AR".

I highly recommend the RRA predator pursuit. Mine shoots like a champ with the 65gr Sierra GK's. I prefer it over my Bushmaster Varmint special SS. Finally got my Bushmaster 20" predator barrel kit put on my mega upper/lower but havent shot it yet..we'll see which one shoots the best...so far my RRA predator is the champ.

My vote goes to the predator. I've had one for a couple of years now and also have a car-4. The predator will shoot lights out. And I don't think it is too bad to carry. I would reccommend to have it beadblasted or get some snake skin camo tape and cover it. I also had mine fluted to cut a little more weight off it.

Back on subject, I like RRA better than most others- and having met those boys numerous times and thank them for the many discounts and support over the years- I strongly recommend their stuff over all others. I knew them when they worked for Armalite and when they started RRA. But RRA and many of the others at one time used a less than desirabel Wilson SS Match barrel on many of their productions match quality rifles. A good barrel- but not benchrest or National Championship stock. OK- Good buddy HD Harrison (retired MGySgt) did win the NRA NCs with a Wilson tube in 2000- but this is just Harry. The Wilson tube if used will or should give you 3-4K well placed rounds- not Krieger or Lilja quality groups but perhaps what you need for 3 to 4K rounds or chasing critters. I use to buy RRA match rifles and sell the barrels then rebarrel with either Lilja or Kriegers and resight thur White Oak to obtain what I needed. So for a production upper- dont hessitate on the RRA- when it comes time to rebarrel- think higher end. I hope this helps, stay center.

Back