Remington Customer Service!

A nation of whiners. Just because Remington manufactures a few exploding rimfires is no reason to tarnish the name of a great American company. Charred fingers are a small price to support an American institution.

I have 5 Remington rifles, and they are all good shooters.

I had a problem with the feeding on a model 700 PSS a few years ago. I sent it back to Remington and they took care of the problem. It was no big deal really.

Oh, the military has used the Remington model 700 for decades as a sniper rifle. I just thought that that was worth mentioning.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: Bayou City BoyOriginally Posted By: filmit...........My experience with Remington has nothing to do with being an internet expert. But being in the gun business for 20 years............. Of course there's not much dangerous game down there on the Bayou so you probably don't have much to worry about.

Remington has pissed their brand name and reputation away steadily over the past several years. Slapping their Brand on Russian junk was probably one of the worst all time marketing failures in the history of Remington.

My experience with Remington comes from buying and hunting with various (read a bunch of...) Remington rifles for over 45 years. In that time, I have never had a problem that I couldn't handle myself with one exception.. Remington re-barreled it for me...

Excluding a short journey through the Colorado School of Trades way back, I chose to stay out of the gun business and do something a little bit more lucrative to support my family. As a result, even though there aren't any big bears, etc. down here where I choose to live, they and other big game - including some dangerous ones - are and have been in the past just a plane trip away from me. They will be in the future, too, so forget where I might live as being a big issue... Come on down sometime and I'll take you surf fishing... It's a lot more fun than hunting whitetail in Texas, IMO...

My mention of Remington has nothing in my mind to do with extractor failures, etc. which you mentioned occurring in the face of charging dangerous game. This is just me speaking my mind, but anyone with a brain beyond the size of a walnut would probably only hunt dangerous game with a positive feeding and extracting rifle. Apparently YMMV.... That's why all my larger caliber factory and custom rifles are built on Model 70 and Mauser 98 positive feeding and claw extraction actions.

However, a large number of my small caliber predator and varmint rifles are built on Remington actions. So far, and I guess I've been overly lucky, I've yet to have an extractor or ejector fail when being confronted by an angry pack of charging PD's or a rabid coyote at 50 paces... In fact, I've never had an extractor fail... Yet I do carry a couple of each cartridge face size extractors and a couple of ejectors in a pack that goes with me when PD shooting.... Just in case... Maybe this next summer?... I also always have an extra Leupold varmint scope in a bag too, just in case...

Just an FYI - the gunsmith I mentioned specializes in accurate small caliber rifles. Not dangerous game rifles... And they are highly accurate small caliber rifles.

If you want to mention the Russian junk to try to make me feel inferior or something, go ahead and charge on with broken extractors, etc.... I have no plans to buy any of it either... But in reality, what does that have to do with some very accurate varmint/predator rifles I own that don't include Russian parts anyway?

Respectfully....

Does that world renown gunsmith have a name?
Hey boy you shoot your remmy's when they will shoot. I'll Shoot my Savages.
-BCB

Originally Posted By: filmitI will never buy another new Remington, ever. They have gone downhill on quality control over the years. The customer service on this issue just reaffirms my decision. There's too many good companies out there to choose from.

I will never buy another GM or Chrysler either but that's a whole 'nother story.

AMEN Brother !

Having sold many rifles over the last 25 years, I can tell you just about every manufacturer has turned out junk at one time or another. I am one of the biggest Big Green fan around, but they did take a turn for the worse awhile back. Both in customer service and quality control. It still seems that there quality control just isn't back to where it was, as they have been really hit and miss over the last 10 years. I've had more issues with them then any manufacture in the last few years.

Now, Savage was never a high end or even medium grade gun, but they did shoot great. That said, I quit selling Savages in the early 80's and on through the early 90's, as they were cutting corners and it showed. TOTAL JUNK! About the mid 90's they started to improve things. I just started selling them again in 2000 and have had some problems with them, but no more then other manufactures in the same price range.
The biggest thing I've dealt with is feeding issues, but haven't seen this as much lately. I've seen a few problems with the accutrigger, but not many. Also, their stocks are total junk!

I do like building on the Savage because I can do everything myself. But I do have a custom build in the plans for a 338/06 and it will be on a Remington action. For the most part here's where I fall with the two. For rimfires and varmint rifles, I like Savage. For big game rifles, I like Remington. Builds I'm doing myself, Savage. High dollar builds, I'd take the Remington action over the Savage.
I guess I'll end with this. Neither are what I would call great rifles and both have pros and cons. To tell you the truth, I'd take a Tikka, CZ or Howa over both!

I just keep buying Remington 700's, 1100's, and 11-87's and they keep working.

I have had a couple of 22/250 sporter barrels that only shot 3/4", but that was good enough.

Every company can hire a sorry A$$ employee, give that employee a little power over other people, and you have bad customer service. It takes time to weed through these type of employees.

My my only contact with Rem Customer service was last year, and it was way better than it should have been. The person took care of the problem when he could have charged me for the part.

When you have a problem with Remington's customer service, I suggest that you write to them and follow up with a call.

As far as bad ammo...it's just that.

I've shot Remington rifles and shotguns for 40 years and have never had to send one back or had a problem I couldn't take care of myself. That being said I have bought several Remingtons in the last 4-5 years. I have owned several other brands and have not gotten anything bad either just lucky I guess. At least they are still made in USA by AMERICAN WORKERS.

Originally Posted By: 4949shooter

Oh, the military has used the Remington model 700 for decades as a sniper rifle. I just thought that that was worth mentioning.
wink.gif

The military uses a 40x action, which I believe is upgraded from factory as well. But the 700 action has become the chevy small block of the gun world, not the best, but since everyone has one its the easiest and cheapest thing to work on.

I'm not a remington hater like some here. Though I think they would struggle to make the top five list of affordable rifles I would like to own.

As for costumer service, my bother-in-law is the "proud" owner of a 105cti, or whatever they called it. I call it, the most expensive, and unreliable, single shot, shot gun of all time. its only 2009, and its going to be in the running for worst gun of the century I'm sure.

But while I can forgive someone for coming out with a bad model, remington insists to this day that there are no problems with the gun. They have totally redesigned it within the first year that the gun was out, and stopped making the model instantly, yet they refuse to admit there is a problem with the gun.

Originally Posted By: CraigOriginally Posted By: 4949shooter

wink.gif

The military uses a 40x action, which I believe is upgraded from factory as well. But the 700 action has become the chevy small block of the gun world, not the best, but since everyone has one its the easiest and cheapest thing to work on.

I fully agree the 40X action is upgraded. Though the Marine corps and Army must have seen something wothwhile in the action for them to adopt same as the basic platform for their respective sniper systems.

Like I said....I just thought it was worth mentioning.
smile.gif

Um were talking about the same defense department here, right? Whatever reason the 700 is used, Highest bidder, lowest bidder, best wheel greaser, whatever- fact is these rifles in service are not an off the rack, over the counter weapons.

For the love of pete- even if it was box stock, who cares. it has absolutely no bearing on remington's current pooch screwing episode involving the 597 17 hmr rifles.

Originally Posted By: yotenaylor
For the love of pete- even if it was box stock, who cares. it has absolutely no bearing on remington's current pooch screwing episode involving the 597 17 hmr rifles.

I agree with you that this issue has nothing to do with the current model 597 problem.

I only brought it up because this thread has turned into a Remington bashing thread, as opposed to a Remington customer service problem thread.

Ten Roger. This is not about a few bad apple employees, 40Xs, 700s, shotguns or the Military choice in firearms.

Sometimes products sold or services rendered don't work out. The difference between good providers and the trash is is what they do about it.

Remington has left us hanging in the wind on the 597 HMR deal. It ain't right! I am one EX Remington fan who won't forget it. It will cost them way more than the money they saved by hosin me on this deal.

As you all know, Remington is a Sponsor here on PM.

Please send me a Private Message detailing exactly what the issues are, and I will contact them directly.

I cannot promise resolution, but I can sure pick up the phone and give "the boss" an opportunity to take care of a customer.

Quote:Checking if this is the correct way to pm you Thanks

Left-click on his user name (in red) then select "send a PM" in the drop-down menu.

It is not just remington with these issues. A buddy of mine has a magnum research 17 and was shooting winchester ammo and it did the same thing. However this is where the two are different. Magnum recalled the gun and gave him a new 22 mag. Actually I think they rebarreled his. Either way he now owns a 22 mag but has 1000 rounds of Win. 17hmr silvertip ammo that he can't use.

Back