No guncase law in MN

Yes, it passed. I don't know the details on it yet but the bottom line is that you can now have your gun uncased between hunting spots or in a boat while duck hunting. I'm not sure yet about the loaded/unloaded restrictions.

I wouldn't trust the internet either. That's a very good point but I went to the Minnesota legislature site and read it there. I just didn't have time to read the entire bill so don't know the details.

Whatever the law change may be, I'd suggest getting a hard copy of the new regs from an official source and keeping a copy on hand. It helps to keep the enforcement officers 'up to date' in case they are not aware of the changes. Sadly, that does happen, so cover yourself...

Before each waterfowl season, I print out the new season regs, laminate them and keep that copy in my duckboat. Works like a charm, and the Conservation officers tend to not bust horns when they happen to see it alongside my boat reggie...

The way I read it is if you are hunting and or traveling to a new hunting spot an unloaded gun needs no case unless you travel through a town of 2500 or more.

I second the bring a copy with you! I got a ticket for my zipper not being all the way closed in the back of my car last year. To make a long story short i got out of it by bringing in the hunting regulation book that said it didn't need to be cased in a trunk. The judge told me this was incorrect but since it was in a mn dnr book he let me go.

Wolf, you are (were) correct, not the judge.

Yep, its true. Basically traveling to or from a hunting spot THAT DAY. Don't uncase it Friday night before deer season and drive 250 miles to your deer camp. If you get stopped on the way, I would bet your in trouble. You can uncase it when you get on your truck or wheeler to get to your deer stand in the morning.

Not in cities over 2500, school grounds, game refuges....read ALL the exemptions very, very carefully and find the particulars. If you have any questions about what you can and cannot do, call your local warden. They'll know. There's a few game refuges around you can muzzleloader hunt...be sure to have a case there.

GJ

Since it only takes a few seconds to remove an unloaded gun from a case. Whats the big deal? Just put your unloaded gun in a case and remove it(then load it) when you get ready to hunt.
Carrying a loaded gun in the trunk is not the safest idea to start with. Think.... where is it pointed while going down the road? Would you feel comfortable with where the bullet is going to go if it fired unintentionally?

Originally Posted By: NcWhitetailSince it only takes a few seconds to remove an unloaded gun from a case. Whats the big deal? Just put your unloaded gun in a case and remove it(then load it) when you get ready to hunt.
Carrying a loaded gun in the trunk is not the safest idea to start with. Think.... where is it pointed while going down the road? Would you feel comfortable with where the bullet is going to go if it fired unintentionally?
Min. only passed a case law where you don't have to have youre gun cased when out hunting, it still has to be unloaded..
The big problem is this: If a group of hunters are hunting together for lets say pheasents they park a vehicle at one end of a field or section and another vehicle at the other end so the hunters have a ride back to their vehicle they would have to have there guns cased. The only way to do this is bring two cases along or try to carry one while you are hunting..
Another problem is the pred. hunters that hunt in the winter months with cold temp.s they are in and out of there vehicle a dozen times a day and the cold temps are really hard on the zippers.. The type of cases i use cost a minium of 40.00 and i go through two cases a year at least...
Alot of the western states have had the no case required law for as long as i can remember and from the study done on S.D. hunters safety is'nt a big deal like some like to think.. Its was just a stupid law that needed to be taken off of the books..

Back