Time between calls when doin rabbit in distress??

Trapper Luke

I was curious on how long you guys wait in between calls when your doin a series of rabbit in distress? Do you just do one long call then wait for awhile before you go again? Or do lttle 20-30 seconds spurts a few times then wait??? How do you do it and which had showed the best results?

Thanks,
Luke

Luke I used to wait 4-5 minutes between scream sessions, but after listening to Tony on the Round Table I will probably shorten that time up. If you haven't listened to that episode you should listen to it. A lot of great info from guys that know.

Picture a young fox trying to kill a rabbit, but not quite able to get it done.

I don't time it. One day something will work, and then another it takes something else. Make a little noise, then wait a short time, and make some more noise.

Experiment a little, and see what works for you.

Daryl

Luke,

Whether using hand calls or my electronic predator call, I rarely if ever pause when using distress sounds (rabbit or anything else). One continuous string of sound. The volume is the only variable.

Mark Healy

Luke
The longer you pause, the more chance the animal has of becoming distracted with something else. Electronic calls basically have no pauses and work well. The good thing about hand calls is you can put your own "spin" on how you call and sound different than other callers.

There are about 100 different things that are more important when calling predators than the timing of the call sequence. Success is going to be determined by the other variables in your hunt.

Doc

Luke: There are a lot of different takes on this and other ways of using ecallers. I like to keep it realistic, which works best for me. Some guys turn an ecaller up as loud as it will go and leave it that way, and they kill coyotes. Other guys put periods of silence in there, and they also kill coyotes. Every experienced coyote hunter works out his own way of doing things. I have always questioned why users of hand callers put pauses in their calling, but those same guys turn an ecaller on and leave it on. Different strokes for different folks explains it pretty well. Around this part of the country, I have watched the coyotes respond, stop and listen, and then proceed. Most of the sequences I make up have a period where the prey animal is getting weaker sounding, and coyotes can't resist that. You'll figure out what is best for your area. Good hunting at ya!

You will get every different answer possible to this question. For me I dont have any specific sequence. I blow on the call probably 30 seconds or so and scan my area about the same amount of time or just enough to catch my breath. The post above mine questions why hand callers will leave a e caller on constantly but pause with hand calls. The answer to that for me is that if I dont pause here and there with my hand calls I will pass out from lack of oxygen. A day long trip blowing calls and i'm wore out.

Quote:The post above mine questions why hand callers will leave a e caller on constantly but pause with hand calls. The answer to that for me is that if I dont pause here and there with my hand calls I will pass out from lack of oxygen. A day long trip blowing calls and i'm wore out.

Actually, I pause because I don't NEED to call continuously. I called that way for a lot of years before I ever used an e-caller, and I see no reason to change to mimic an e-caller now.

Ever heard an actual dying rabbit? I have, and I've yet to hear one squeal constantly for 2 minutes, much less 30. I've tried, and I couldn't MAKE them squeal that long.

I call enough to keep a coyote's attention, and to keep it coming in.

One of the main gripes I have about continuous calling on an e-caller is that the coyotes come fast and hard; not always soon in the stand, but they're almost always running. I want them to come in moving a little slower, mostly because they're easier to hit that way. If they dash in, stuff their nose in an e-caller, and then high-tail it, they're harder to hit than if they stop, look, and then come in some more.

Not that they don't come in hard and fast with periodic calling with hand calls. They do, but if you aren't calling when they get there, they'll generally stop and look around for the hurt critter. That's a good time to shoot them.

I'm a pretty fair hand at hitting running coyotes, but I'd still rather shoot them stopped or walking.

Daryl

Last edited:
I am very new to sport and like the ideal of using handcalls over ecallers. One thing I have learned also is movement. If you call continuously, you move continuously. Using an ecaller you dont have to move at all. The first coyote I ever called up I am wailing away on a call and look 20 yards in front of me and there is a big red coyote staring right at me. Now I have to stop calling and move hand to triggerand we all know what happens. Thats my experience. I now will call for 30 seconds to a couple of minutes and then pause and watch for a few minutes.

trapper, i call for about a good 45 seconds on my 1st series to let a dog try + locate where the sound is coming from, then watch for about 2 minutes. my idea is to not let him know exacty where i'm at but to make him hunt for the sound. also if a coyote is close he will roll in on you so fast he's hard to shoot even with a shotgun. just the way i do it.

I call for a minute or so on the first series and then pause
for a minute and call again and take a longer pause for
coyotes. For fox, coons, or bobcats I will play the ecaller
for longer periods of time with short pauses. I like to
start off with a distress call and if nothing shows I switch
to coyote vocals. A mix of sounds seems to work best for
coyotes for me.

Back