Turkey Loads for coyotes

cathntr

I was thinking about gettin out in the morning and seeing if I could manage to get my first shotgunned coyote but I didnt have enough time to stop and buy shells on the way home. I do however have some Remington Nitro 3 1/2 inch 4 shot turkey loads. Would these be effecient enough to kill a coyote? I have an Undertaker Super Full turkey choke on the Remington 870. How far would these work out too? Thanks, Josh

25 - 30 yard head shots "IF" your rig patterns them very tightly. I've had bad results overall with turkey loads.

I think out to about 30 or 35 yards they should work fine.Turkey loads are about the only thing I ever have with me so thats what I use.The first coyote I ever shot was with a 20 gauge using 3" #4 shot at 30 or 35 yards cant remember which.It ran maybe 25 yards and fell over dead.And I shot a bobcat with a 12 gauge using Hevi Shot 3 1/2" #5 shot a couple years ago.Dropped it dead right where it stood.You asked about coyotes I know but thats the only experience I've had shooting predators with turkey loads.I'm two for two so I cant say they dont work but I also cant say they'll work everytime.But thats no guaruntee with anything you shoot a yote with as I'm sure you know.Oh and if its possible aim for the head and neck.

I've killed several using just regular #4 shot. All were about 30 yards or so. Not head shots either. All of those were in front of hounds as well.
grin.gif

If 4's is all you have, then as stated by many before me, they will work out to 30-35 yds, in my experience. Be prepared for a follow-up though, unless it's a head shot.
If you could bump up to 2's or BB, it would be better & could extend your range by another 10 yds.

Back