AR-15 in .223 WSSM???

Trapper Luke

Alright so I know very little bout AR-15's and .223 WSSM for that matter so go easy on me. Im not sure if this gun even exists or not but is there such a gun as a AR-15 chambered in .223 WSSM? If there is how hard would it be to get my hands on one?

Olympic Arms and I both chamber AR-15's in the .223 WSSM. I've got to admit however that they are no where near as popular as the .243 WSSM though. I have build literally hundreds of the .243 WSSM's, and perhaps 5 or 6 of the .223 WSSM uppers.

What do you want to use it for?

Was just wanting one for another coyote/varmit rifle.

You couldnt prehaps give me an estimate(sp) on how much one would cost me could ya?

Thanks,
Luke

I would suggest you have Mike build you one in 243 WSSM. I had one in 223 WSSM and the 243 will do everything the 223 does and more.

What kind of ballistics will the 243 WSSM reach in an AR w/20" barrel with say an 87gr. Hornady bullet?

Will a 243 WSSM upper work on my R15 Lower?

What mods have to made to the clips?

Many Thanks

I wold not recommend a 20" barrel on the .243 WSSM. The best bang for you buck for shooting the bullet weights that you have mentioned would be a fluted 22" barrel. Depending on what bullet and powder, you will get between 3200 and 3450 FPS out of a 87 grain bullet fired from a 22" barrel.

The WSSM uppers will fit on any standard AR-15 lower receiver with out any modifications. The only receivers I have ever had issues with have been the Colt receivers with sear-blocks.

The magazines are modified in several ways, and I also replace the existing follower with a modified Magpul anti-tilt follower. The feed-lips get opened up a little, the magazine catch slot also gets raised a little. A modified magazine comes with each upper, and extra magazines are always available.

My AR .243WSSM has been the best coyote rifle I ever owned. I've owned many cals & mfg's of bolt centerfire's over the yrs. I've always shot mfg'd Win 95gr SBT's in her. Excellent wind cutter & thumps coyote hard way out there.

Originally Posted By: Trapper LukeAlright so I know very little bout AR-15's and .223 WSSM for that matter so go easy on me. Im not sure if this gun even exists or not but is there such a gun as a AR-15 chambered in .223 WSSM? If there is how hard would it be to get my hands on one?

Dtech and Oly Arms can also do a 25 WSSM which in my humble opinion is the most versatile of all. With a 75 grain Vmax, the 25 will do probably around 3600 out of the 22 inch barrel and hammer coyotes. With a 100 or 120 grain bullet it will hammer larger prey!
It is somewhat overlooked but still a great round!
Greg Harrison

Originally Posted By: tolson68Can the 243 WSSM be loaded with the 105, 108 and 115 VLD's to mag length?

The 243 WSSM barrels in an AR are typically a 1:10 twist and I am not sure if the barrel will stabilize the larger bullets like the 105, 108, and 115 VLD's.

Back