204 X 6mm

rkfinn

Have any of you tried this, necking up the 204 to 6mm? I have a Sako Vixen in 223 that I was considering to re-barrel to a 6X45, but looking at that 204 case and the Vixen, it seems that it would be an ideal light weight dual purpose rifle with little more humph. Any feedback? Thanks!

I'm not sure about the shoulder angles, but basically the 6 x 204 would be a 6 x 47 that has been around for many decades. The 6 x 47 is simply a necked-up .222 Remington Magnum. The .204 Ruger also uses the .222 Rem. Mag. case as a starting point.

Yes, you will get a little more velocity, but with the difference in the price of brass, I think it would be a case of diminished return. Just my opinion.

Thanks,
I was aware of the 6X47, but the 222 Rem Mag cases are history. Would the 204X6mm feed out of an AR? I think it should, but not 100% sure as how reliably.

The .204 Ruger, even with it's very short bullets, can be problematic in the AR. It is not at all unusual to find folks that have feed issues with the .204 in an AR. With the longer bullets of a 6mm I think you would be asking for trouble.

Back