Optics for coyote

wagspe208

Ok, I figured I'd post here instead of everything AR. It is more optics related than AR specific. (I think)
I have a S&W M&P 15 in the 5.45 x 39 round. It will be mainly used for coyote. Night time.
I am torn between an:
1) EO Tech with 3x flip to side magnifier behind it
2) A trijicon ACOG in 3x or 4x
3) a Nightforce NSX
I have an EO on another AR and like it. No magnifier with it.
I have a NSX on my .50 cal. Love it.
I have no ACOG.
I want something DURABLE, reliable, and cool.
What you think?
Wags

PS my hunting rifles are fitted with nice Leopold stuff. The better glass was always out of my budget back then.

If it was me, for night use, I'd go with the EOTech and no magnifier. If I decided I wanted some magnification, I'd look at this as a possibility, too.

1X it's pretty much an EOTech clone and you have the option of dialing it up if needed. I don't own one, I'm going on what owners have told me. I got a lot of positive feedback, though, and it's only about $200.

Millett DMS-1

Here's a thread discussing it on the AR:

AR-15.com thread

Just another option, but a good one I think. It's pretty small, too.
30mm tube, in case you decide on it. Just FYI.

Last edited:
+1 on the DMS

I do own one and it's great. I stated in another post, the 1X setting is actually a little less. I dial mine to about 1.25-1.3 for a true view. It does give huge field of view and is very durable. 4x works well when you need to get a little closer. The Dot-donut reticle is nice too. Precise aiming when desired, good pickup and tracking when needed.

Price is right too.

Good luck in your choice.

B

Quote:And reticle is good for night use?

According to the AR15.com thread (and I admit I didn't get through all 73 page of that rambling behemoth), it adjusted dim enough to be fine at night. The major complaint was more along the line that it washed out in bright sun. You've still got the crosshairs, though, so it seems like it would work.

The light illuminates the center dot and the circle. It does not illuminate the two horizontal side lines or the bottom verticle line. I think the pics in the AR15.com thread show this.

The #1 light setting is lower than the lowest setting on a lot of red dots's I have used. It shows well in complete darkness, but is not too bright.

The #11 setting is bright, but not so bright as to show up in full sun. This setting is too much for late dusk, or night. This does not bother me and has yet to cause a problem in any of my hunting situations.

The nine settings in between are even graduations in brightness. They will give the ability to adjust for other light conditions (bright moon, clouds, dawn, dusk, etc.)

Before I bought mine I did some research and found a few pics from someone using this scope with night vision. It looked, and he reported, like it worked well. Sorry, I can't remember the site.

B

Quote:Before I bought mine I did some research and found a few pics from someone using this scope with night vision.

I saw an example on the AR15.com site showing the reticle as seen through NV goggles. It looked bright but usable. I don't think he specified which setting he was suing, I assumed the lowest one.

As far as adjusting lower, I've looked through my EOTech in a pitch-black room and it adjusted so low as to be invisible. There were several more adjustments left below that point, too.

Since I don't own any NV equipment, that doesn't do me any good, but it's there. And no, my EOTech isn't the one marketed as "NV compatible", which must have even more low-light settings.

Just looked at the lowest setting in a blacked out room. Reticle is visible, but not what I would call bright. Just a soft cherry red, like the first color visible when heating metal with a torch...

Since my AR just went to pieces (sorta voluntary)for a while mine could be up for demo purposes if your interested.

B

I have two EOTech sights I use, and would agree to go with one of them without the magnafier.
Mine are the 512 and 552 models, with the latest upgrades.

Edit to add: If you go with an EOTech sight, get one that is powered by "AA" batteries, not the ones using "N" cells. "N" cells don't last nearly as long as good "AA's", like the Lithium "AA"'s that I use.

Last edited:
Yeah, the only advantage to the "N" cell EOTech is that it's got a shorter battery cover. It would be nice on a pistol or if something caused a clearance problem ahead of the mount.
On an AR, it just hangs out over the float tube a bit, there's plenty of clearance for it.
Here's a reference pic, I can mount my rear sight behind it with it at this point on the rail.

017.jpg

The "N" powered model would probably be flush with the front of the rail, but as Martyn said, it has disadvantages (shorter battery life and you might not find any in the "middle of nowhere" gas station or store.)
2 AAs will fit inside an Ergo grip just fine, I found out.
I'm pretty sure an EOTech will run a couple more days after it gives you the "low battery" warning, anyway. It doesn't draw much current.

Hmmm...I went through several of the 73 pages. Seemed to get good reviews mostly. I have an EO Tech on another rifle. Maybe I will put it on the 5.45 piece and give it a try.
I did look at an EO Tech with a flip to side mount tonight. Seemed pretty cool. All the advantages. I will check out the Millet piece at the next gun show, though.
I have the AA models too. Seemed to fit my purpose better.
Thanks for the help guys.
Wags

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy The day coyotes have a use for optics...I'm gonna stop hunting them, just too dangerous.

Chupa

Good one!
Wags

Originally Posted By: Chupathingy The day coyotes have a use for optics...I'm gonna stop hunting them, just too dangerous.

Chupa I just spewed on my monitor!!! LMAO

Hundreds of us in the Predator hunting clubs used the leupold 3.5-10 for night hunting with a light, I can't say enough good about this scope.

Interested in knowing how this caliber works for you. Dad wants to get one, but I don't know how it will work on coyotes

Back