Moving to denver how is the rabbit hunting?

TripleDeuce660

I'm moving to denver next year. How is the rabbit hunting in the area? How far do you have to drive to hunt rabbit?

I was reading in the regulations you can't use a dog for cottontail anytime there is a big game season in that unit? What does that mean for the beagler ? Even though the season for rabbits is sept 1 - end of feb it seems you can't use a beagle basicaly anytime till late december-feb. How about on small game access program properties can you run dogs there the whole time?

man even california has better regulations and so does oregon. I guess i could drive to new mexico, rabbit is open year round it seems. The regs are too complicated and stupid its unbelievable.

weird too its just you can't hunt rabbit and squirrel with dogs during big game seasons doesn't say anything about birds. I bet some stupid hippies made those laws.

I'm intersted in meeting up with anyone who runs beagles in the denver area too.

Last edited:
NO hippies didn't make those rules they were made because of Californicating hunters.They liked the way it was in california so the laws were made so they would go back and not hunt in Colorado_Oh the rabbit hunting is ok if you can find land to hunt that is close.

Last edited:
If California hunting is so great why wouldn't you just stay there. Trust me we don't want your DA dog running around in our elk, not just during hunting season but ever.

Bunny hunting is generally better on the plains anyway. You need access to private land and its doubtful our hippies will give that to you.

All one has to do is tally up the total number of big game hunters here and compare that with the total number of bunny hunters here. With that little bit of info you can easily see why you are far 'out gunned' in the woods with your dog. Besides dogs that harass big game can be shot. You might want to check with the hunters in NM and see what they think about you and your dogs in the woods with them big game hunting.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660I'm moving to denver next year. How is the rabbit hunting in the area? How far do you have to drive to hunt rabbit?

I'm intersted in meeting up with anyone who runs beagles in the denver area too.

Just curious, why the big interest in rabbits ??

Here in Colorado we have an abundance of large and small game, people come from all over the world to hunt Elk,Dear,& Antelope, heck even Prairie Dogs.

If rabbits are what you like to hunt, then have at it. There is some public land N/E of the Denver area that may be what you're looking for; but I'd try to get permission to hunt private land, you'd probably have better luck.

For questions concerning hunting and wildlife, here are the ones to ask.

Link to CDOW

Good hunting

I remember the first time I flew into Denver airport. It was probably 1986(or so). The plane landed, and we unboarded on the tarmack, about 70 yards or so from the terminal. I remember the tarmack was polluted with jack rabbits. I must have seen over 50 of them. They were everywhere. Maybe the airport wil let you hunt?? Because it sure sounds like you are not welcome in the woods. Tom.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660 How about on small game access program properties can you run dogs there the whole time?

man even california has better regulations and so does oregon. The regs are too complicated and stupid its unbelievable.

weird too its just you can't hunt rabbit and squirrel with dogs during big game seasons doesn't say anything about birds. I bet some stupid hippies made those laws.

These words don't exactly beg for a welcome mat. First of all there is an access program.

Read here - http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/SmallGame/WalkInAccess/

In CO we suggest you read our regs as thats basically a requirement in CA, NM, OR and CO by the way. The fact that in CO we don't allow you to run your dogs in the forest with 240,000 BG hunters isn't stupid even for a hippie.

Huh........well I guess he aint welcome to hunt for rabbits in Denver I assume?
I have a question though.Why would you want to move to a place that has hippies runnin around everywhere?I'm not sayin there are in Colorado or anything because I dont know and dont care.But if I was going to move to another state which I'm not and never will.There are'nt going to be hippies there.I have a feelin we would'nt get along.
But if you have no other choice but to move to Denver I would have to say you're going to have to abide by the game laws whether you agree with them or not.But you'll have to do that no matter where you rabbit hunt.
I'm not throwin punches at anyone I'm just gonna say that right now so nobody go gettin all upset.The guy is just lookin for a place to rabbit hunt.He just happened to call some people hippies in the process of lookin for a spot to do that.That happens sometimes.
smile.gif

you are all very rude. My grandaddy had a pack of beagles to hunt rabbit. I have beagles to hunt rabbit. Family tradition. Its popular in other states back east. I have no desire to hunt big game, ever. I hunt coyote, rabbit , and upland game. rabbit have a long season in most states and are in every state so its great to hunt. They also taste good. If i was in the woods and someone shot my dog on purpose then I would probably unload my 10mm on them or their truck. My dog has never bothered big game. If my dog runs a deer she would be severly punished with the shock colar. So you guys must hate grouse hunters too ?You would shoot a grouse hunters dog? I make sure to put a bell on my dog during deer season cuz lots of deer hunters are trigger happy drunk idiots leaving beer bottles all over the forest. There is plenty of land out there for all hunters. I am leaving CA cuz i unfortunantly was born here. Denver has nice mountains and nice weather. I have checked out every state and city in the west and it is where me and my wife like. The hippies in colorado are mostly in boulder and spill out from there. Considering how the hippies tried to ban p-dog hunting I would think most people don't like them if they like hunting. I have every right to hunt snowshoe and mountain cottontail. The only reason anyone would think the mountains dont' have rabbit is you dont' have a beagle to find them and get them moving In the rough stuff. Any idiot with a 22 can walk in a flat field or the desert and spot a rabbit. In the thickest stuff where the snowshoes hang out you need a gundog. I read all the regulations in every state I hunt cover to cover. Its just i have never seen a state with so many laws. Funny your mismanaged deer and elk herds are in severe decline because of a bunch of tree huggers. Does anyone else have any rude comments to make? Are you jerks the same deer hunters who ride around on their atv, jump off and load the gun, then shoot the deer from the road and call that hunting? Or maybe you just sit in your deer stand drinking beer and wait for one to walk by? Why don't you guys try a sport that takes skill like shotgunnin rabbit , grouse, and chukar. Oh you would probably shoot them on the ground while sitting still since you dont' have a gundog and won't be seeing or retrieving any without a dog. I hope we meet in the woods so you can harrass me and my beagle. Even CA hunters are not so rude. I ran my dog during deer and elk season in oregon for grouse and only thing people had to say was did you see any grouse today? All the stupid deer hunters drive the grouse onto the highest ridges where their fat lazy butts cannot hike. Then once deer season opens they are all gone.Then me and my dog have to hike way up to the ridges to find them. If you ask me deer hunters ruin the woods for a few months a year.

Now does anyone have something constructive or helpful to say? Some of you where helpful and I appreciate that.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: skb2706Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660 How about on small game access program properties can you run dogs there the whole time?

man even california has better regulations and so does oregon. The regs are too complicated and stupid its unbelievable.

These words don't exactly beg for a welcome mat. First of all there is an access program.

Read here - http://wildlife.state.co.us/Hunting/SmallGame/WalkInAccess/

In CO we suggest you read our regs as thats basically a requirement in CA, NM, OR and CO by the way. The fact that in CO we don't allow you to run your dogs in the forest with 240,000 BG hunters isn't stupid even for a hippie.

i already read about the access program. I assume since no big game hunting is allowed you can run a dog there all season. I didn't see where it says if it is shotgun only or any restrictions on firearms that can be used? I just use shotgun and .22lr. I gather you can also hunt coyote there and use a .223?

Originally Posted By: TripleDeuce660you are all very rude. My grandaddy had a pack of beagles to hunt rabbit. I have beagles to hunt rabbit. Family tradition. Its popular in other states back east. I have no desire to hunt big game, ever. I hunt coyote, rabbit , and upland game. rabbit have a long season in most states and are in every state so its great to hunt. They also taste good. If i was in the woods and someone shot my dog on purpose then I would probably unload my 10mm on them or their truck. My dog has never bothered big game. If my dog runs a deer she would be severly punished with the shock colar. So you guys must hate grouse hunters too ?You would shoot a grouse hunters dog? I make sure to put a bell on my dog during deer season cuz lots of deer hunters are trigger happy drunk idiots leaving beer bottles all over the forest. There is plenty of land out there for all hunters. I am leaving CA cuz i unfortunantly was born here. Denver has nice mountains and nice weather. I have checked out every state and city in the west and it is where me and my wife like. The hippies in colorado are mostly in boulder and spill out from there. Considering how the hippies tried to ban p-dog hunting I would think most people don't like them if they like hunting. I have every right to hunt snowshoe and mountain cottontail. The only reason anyone would think the mountains dont' have rabbit is you dont' have a beagle to find them and get them moving In the rough stuff. Any idiot with a 22 can walk in a flat field or the desert and spot a rabbit. In the thickest stuff where the snowshoes hang out you need a gundog. I read all the regulations in every state I hunt cover to cover. Its just i have never seen a state with so many laws. Funny your mismanaged deer and elk herds are in severe decline because of a bunch of tree huggers. Does anyone else have any rude comments to make? Are you jerks the same deer hunters who ride around on their atv, jump off and load the gun, then shoot the deer from the road and call that hunting? Or maybe you just sit in your deer stand drinking beer and wait for one to walk by? Why don't you guys try a sport that takes skill like shotgunnin rabbit , grouse, and chukar. Oh you would probably shoot them on the ground while sitting still since you dont' have a gundog and won't be seeing or retrieving any without a dog. I hope we meet in the woods so you can harrass me and my beagle. Even CA hunters are not so rude. I ran my dog during deer and elk season in oregon for grouse and only thing people had to say was did you see any grouse today? All the stupid deer hunters drive the grouse onto the highest ridges where their fat lazy butts cannot hike. Then once deer season opens they are all gone.Then me and my dog have to hike way up to the ridges to find them. If you ask me deer hunters ruin the woods for a few months a year.

Now does anyone have something constructive or helpful to say? Some of you where helpful and I appreciate that.

Congrats on moving from that Bass Turd California. I did many years ago. I dont hate the people, just the state. Good luck.

thanks ozzy! CA would be great if it just had about 1/4 of the people and alot less laws. I bet it was pretty nice when my family moved here. My house had a farm behind it here in orange county when my parents moved in and there wsa good hunting within an hour drive.

We are not all rude...I am.

Your issues with the regs and your dogs should be taken up with the CDOW and not members here.

Any reason to leave CA is a good reason.

Not one time did anyone say there were no rabbits in the mountains..we all know there is.

There are currently more deer and elk in CO than ever in recorded history.

One of the reasons we have excellent herds of deer and elk is the influx of 'out of state money' that big game hunters bring.

You don't know me and you certainly have no idea how I hunt.

Anytime you address a group on a forum as "you guys" it sounds inclusive of all. Sounds like profilin' to me.

I have dozens of suggestions on where to go both private and public to hunt rabbits. Most are not in the mountains but I can assure you they hold rabbits.

Originally Posted By: skb2706We are not all rude...I am.

Your issues with the regs and your dogs should be taken up with the CDOW and not members here.

Any reason to leave CA is a good reason.

Not one time did anyone say there were no rabbits in the mountains..we all know there is.

There are currently more deer and elk in CO than ever in recorded history.

One of the reasons we have excellent herds of deer and elk is the influx of 'out of state money' that big game hunters bring.

You don't know me and you certainly have no idea how I hunt.

Anytime you address a group on a forum as "you guys" it sounds inclusive of all. Sounds like profilin' to me.

I have dozens of suggestions on where to go both private and public to hunt rabbits. Most are not in the mountains but I can assure you they hold rabbits.

so instead of being rude why didn't you just give a suggestion or even just say yes there are rabbit on the plains around denver or something. I never said anything in my initial post about it had to be in the mountains. The plains are fine, however there is a plains deer season and i assume that means if plains deer season is open then no running rabbits. pretty simple. You where not the only one who was less then welcoming.You know I have made literaly thousands of posts on all sorts of gun, hunting, and ford truck forums. I have never EVER had someone say something mean to me. I have also never said something rude back. First time for everything.Why is everyone so hung up on my hippy comment?

I spent plenty of time in colorado there are easily as many cowboys and rednecks with their big old hats as there are hippies/yuppies. It just seems the tree huggers are running the managment of fishing and hunting. I have looked over the walk in access looks like there are alot of spots to check in a reasonable drive. I have already written DOW to ask for clarification and to complain about the law. I also looked at how you can go to the meetings and surely I will go to one and speak my mind if i'm finding the law to be a problem for me.

looks like the small game access land is close enough it will be fine to go there for the times when I can't legaly use a dog in other places. Morgan county looks like a good place to start particularly the fields marked other.The description of OTHER sounds like it would hold rabbit. Luckily for me farmers don't usualy care for rabbit much and after i get rid of my CA plates on the truck I will try and get some private access.
I'm hopeing i can find a place right by the city area too where I can just run the dog with no guns in the off season and after work etc. I like to keep their nose sharp. I run them in some regional parks where they are aloud off leash here in los angeles now. You can't hunt there but I just love to hear the hound of music and there are alot of bunnies!

Last edited:
Unfortunately you are going to find that you will have to get away from the cities on the front range to find good bunny hunting areas. I would plan at least 70-80 miles one way to the better spots.

70-80 miles is my situation here in los angeles minimum.Could be 110-175 miles one way for jacks.I'm just lucky I know a spot most people really drive far. If i moved to oregon the best bunny spot is also 70-80 miles away. Luckily I dont' expect a ton of traffic in colorado compared to los angeles and the speed limit is 75! Hopefully I'll find some private land that is closer.

Here in LA my rabbit spot takes forever if there is traffic. usualy its ok going but coming home can take 3 hours.

In oregon the speed limit is only 55 and usualy too rainy to go and too rainy for 75 mph!

I love the speed limit in colorado! Thats only a 1 hour drive going 75!

Last edited:
Okay TripleD I did some research for you on the bird vs. rabbit issue. What I was informed is that bird dogs are trained to point or flush and rabbit dogs (beagles) are trained to chase/pursue game thus the presumed chance that a dog could get on a deer elk and chase it. If a hunter witnesses a dog chasing or harassing big game in Colorado they can shoot the dog. This is what I was informed by the DOW. There will be an investigation and you could be found guilty of animal cruelty for shooting the dog depending where you are in the state.

First off i just want to say not all deer hunters are azz holes. You may not of called them that but it dont take long to get the feeling. I dont care what you hunt and if its with a dog or not we all enjoy the sport. I live to hunt everything i can. Being rabbits dove quail deer coyotes i dont care if theres a season i try to get after them. Except water foul never did that. Yes there is some weekend warriors that give every hunter bad names. Rather you use a dog or your own feet. rasing helll with each other just give all hunters bad names. Example being if some undertermined mind happen to read across this fourm and seen the deer hunter comments they will have a picture of drunkin hunters shooting anything that moves. Thats far from the truth with most hunters most make dam sure what they are about to shoot at and what is behind it. Dont give the general public a bad mind set of all hunters with stupid comments like the one above. Thats the best way to end hunting for everyone. Its hard enough to gain private access and the one who reads this fourm might just be the one your asking for permission to hunt on down the road. You think they will let any hunters on there place i dont. I all ways go out of my way to help other hunters if i can. I darn sure hunt as safe as i can for my sake and others as well as respect the game im hunting. Do i set in a blind to deer hunt sometimes but with a bad back that has rods and screws i will be damed if im setting at home. My legs just dont work very good and they will give out do to nerve damage. And this happened 2 years ago. So i darn sure see the need for people to use a truck atv blind ext. I would rather be hunting the be setting at home with my thumb planted in my back side. Were all hunters and we all enjoy the sport are god given right to be out in the woods. Where one feels at peace most of the time. I live to hunt and i know there is lots of others that do to.

Last edited:
Best small game hunting here is high, especially wilderness areas just don't let the fed catch you with the dog off leash. there are other laws regarding dogs on public lands some areas they are more heavily enforced check those out as well. the CDOW rules supersede all other laws during hunting seasons but are in addition too any local laws set fourth by the county or city you are in. FWIW by law a dog must be leashed on FS & BLM land. It is rarely enforced but could be at anytime should that person feel the dogs is a nuisance. And I wasn't being rude, there really aren't many rabbits here. Way to many predators IMO

Back