Minnesota/Wisconsin opinions

I fish a LOT both in MN and WI. I certainly can't speak for anyone I don't know, but virtually everyone I fish with releases almost every fish they catch. I probably average over a hundred fish a year and kill maybe 5 or 6. The rest go back with a kiss on their foreheads and a promise that I'll see them again someday.

I think most serious fishermen here would release those fish, but that most weekend anglers that don't fish more than a handful of times a year would keep those fish.
I assume those came off the Fort Peck Resevoir, (I think thats what its called), I know a few years ago there was a lot of talk about that being where the next world record walleye would come from. Maybe those are more of the average fish there like on Lake Erie.

Randy, i think these pics are from Fort Peck Lake in Montana. In 1999 and 2000 i hunted coyotes with a friend of mine out of Hinsdale, Montana named Eric Albus. He guides the realtree crew for deer and elk. He also has Spearing and fishing adventures. I saw first hand how big the fish were out there and let me tell you, you wouldn't beleive your eyes. Spearing Walleyes is leagel and they are considered rough fish. We took a break from coyote hunting and sat in one of the spear houses. The size of the Walleyes and pike were unbeleivable. 10- 13lbs. walleyes are very common and pike 16-25lbs. can be caught all day long. Obviously not many people know about that lake but if you like big fish with out having to go to canada GO THERE!!!!. Sometimes you seem skeptical but this lake will impress you. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Almost forgot, i think they are keeping fish that size because big fish are very plentiful. I mean VERY plentiful, and since they are considered rough fish they or anybody else who fishes out there don't mind keeping fish that size. so don't be to hard on them Montana folk.

I'm actually not hard on Montana folk. I'm being hard on anyone that feels the NEED to keep those fish. I don't care if they are thick as fleas on a dog. If that was in my back yard I'd be so protective so we'd ALWAYS have that kind of fishing.

But that's just me. HA HA HA HA....

I understand, just giving you alittle greif, you don't get enough. But in all seriuosness, if you get out that way fish there if you get a chance. I understand about the fish thing. Keep a couple big ones for the wall, but not to eat. /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/grinning-smiley-003.gif

Wouldnt it make more sense to throw back the smaller ones so they could grow up. As I understand these big pike and walleye are he!! on smaller fish of their own species. Just my two cents

To a point it makes sense to throw back the small ones. Walleyes that are 12 to 14 inches long give very little meat. But, at 15" they are starting to be good pan sized fish.

Walleyes and Northerns will eat their own kind but that's not the preferred food for them. As long as there's adequate forage they will go for other fish first.

The idea behind perfect management is to have a variety of sizes in the fishery. But, as far as producers, the larger fish obviously lay more eggs than do the small ones. One big female will lay more eggs than many, many smaller ones.

Plus, a large trophy sized fish is more fun to catch. Once the fun has been had, toss it back so someone else can catch it again and again.

One example I can give is that a 5 lb bass is considered a trophy in Minnesota. I fish one lake time after time and it has a good population of large fish. Lots and lots of them from 3 to 4 lbs and some getting to be 5lbs or a little better.

Interesting thing. A few years ago I caught a bass just over five pounds and the hook ripped his lips pretty good. The top right side was really torn. But, I threw it back. Last summer, my wife's young cousin caught a fish that was 6lbs 6oz. It had a ripped upper right lip. But,the boy was thrilled. His largest fish ever. He took the fish and had it mounted. He'll have that memory for the rest of his life. Had I killed it to eat, he never would have experienced it. In the mean time, that thing had two or three years to spawn and pass on it's genes in that lake. Lots and lots of babies with the potential to grow large.

That's what it's all about. No one is suggesting that you kill every single fish that's small either. Conservation dictates that you take what you need and release everything else.

It's just me. But, I really believe in it.

Randy

Dang Buker, I missed this post originally.
Here's one you missed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
house1.jpg

personally if I go fishing its to catch fish to eat
however.....there are some really nice fish that it would seem a shame to end their existence so I guess it really depends.....
Hows that for decisive ????
I would not slight or shame someone because I thought they should have thrown a fish back ....I do know that...
The top walleyes would have probably been at the taxidermist though /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/smile.gif

I grew up in southern WI and I spent the summers catching Bass, Northerns, Walleyes, catfish, panfish and even carp out of the Milwaukee River. We had a large garden and my dad taught me how to hunt, snare and trap rabbits. Fish and game are food to me. Later in life I moved to NW MN and added beaver, raccoon, muskrats and turtles to the larder. Deer were not hunted for sport, with a deer in the locker we ate roasts, chops and steaks , no deer we got hamburger.

I love boiled Northerns with steamed potatoe and sweet/sour redcabbage. The larger the northerns are the better the taste and the meat is solid and it's easier to fillet the Y-bones out. I'll take a large northern for eating over a walleye any day.

We never took more than we could eat and one never went to waste.

Don't fish as much as I used to move out to the coast and my new wife doesn't care for fish or game so I'm not as hard on them as I used to be. Still like to go back to WI and catch a few big Northerns for my mom to cook up, dad can't fish very well anymore.

AWS

Last edited:
Quote:
Dang Buker, I missed this post originally.
Here's one you missed /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/tongue.gif /ubbthreads/images/graemlins/laugh.gif
house1.jpg

Glad to see you are following me around the forum.

First of all I would have kept the first one for the wall! I got a 10 pound wally when I was four, and NO one was helping me. It would be nice to have a 12 pounder to give it company. I live in the Alexandria area and most of the people I fish with release big ones on less there going on the wall. I live on a private lake and my "keaper slot" is 14-18 inches, and let me tell ya, My lake is FULL of walleyes! Nothin' erks me more then people eating 7 or punders!

Luke

I never used to keep the big fish, especially walleyes, but the tribes have continued to spear and net some of our premier lakes, I now keep whatever the slot allows....period. If I am lucky enough to catch one big fish it goes home and if there are four people in the boat, four go home.

I have no idea. Maybe gamedog will share with us what the story is on that. I hadn't noticed that. Very interesting.

Back