spot and stalk hunters?

bowhhunterjeff

Just wondering how many of you use this technique succsesfully, I have never tried and have been wanting to give it a try for sometime now, Ill be honest I am usually a shotgun hunter when it comes to animals like whitetails but I also have quite the passion for bowhunting and to me it almost seems unatural to not be 15 ft or more up in a tree while bowhunting lol. So like I said just wondering your thoughts, who does it here, tips? succses rates vs on the ground or in a tree anything at all youde like to add for taking deer on the ground with a bow, includeing hunt stories and pics if youde like
wink.gif
thanks for looking and hunt safley

jeff

I hunt the dry hot and full of dead pine needled steep mountains of northern california & thats the most popular way and effective to hunt blacktailed deer is to grab high ground & glass spot a buck and start the stalk, I wear 3 pairs of extreemely large socks over my boots for quietness and I wear full 3d cammo, learning to shoot to at least 40 yrds increases your odds too. remember before sunrise wind goes downhill n after sunrise wind goes up hill, that will help u too. spot and stalk is the most difficult bow hunting method in my oppinion, deer out west dont use the same trails and theres no feeding food plots like that of white tails, so blacktails are far far more difficult than white tails, setting up a tree stank is like hoping to hit the lotto lol. very few bucks use the same trails or beds or feeding areas every day, they go where ever they please depending on predation and hunting preasure, I have killed them out of ground blind but at a old abandand apple orchard, that was too easy was not even any fun, lol just my 2 cents though try sneaking up on some does and practice its really fun to get close to em.

Been spot/stalking since 1964. I started a thread awhile back in the Predator Forum, called [Farmland predator tactics]. Many other members contributed with good info. Worth the read IMO.

Thats the only way Ive hunted. Patience is the key, take your time. You will enjoy yours kills soooo much more when you put a 2 hour stalk into it! There is just something about outdoing them at what they are best at! I stalked within 40 yards of two different antelope last year and missed both times....rangefinder issues. Cant wait to get revenge this year HOPEFULLY! LOL Good Luck, and you will enjoy it I promise!

I've been doing s&s on antelope for (currently) 2 years. Been within range a few times and still no shot. Been within 70 yards repeatedly before getting busted. Stalking an animal when there is no cover is challenging to say the least.

But when all else fails, rifle season is only a month away...

Back