Reloading for AI Chambering

TimberDawwg

I'm looking at re-chambering a rifle to .222 Rem Mag AI and have a couple of questions: Would I necessarily need a F/L die? I've heard that I could use a .223 AI die. I know the .223 AI would make it a lot easier, but I'm just different and kinda set in my ways. Any input on reloading for this would be appreciated.

I do not think the 223AI die will work because the neck on the 223 is way shorter than the 222 Mag AI and as a result the 223 die will be crushing the neck and shoulder.

Originally Posted By: TimberDawwgI'm looking at re-chambering a rifle to .222 Rem Mag AI and have a couple of questions: Would I necessarily need a F/L die? I've heard that I could use a .223 AI die. I know the .223 AI would make it a lot easier, but I'm just different and kinda set in my ways. Any input on reloading for this would be appreciated.

Mike Bellm has been doing just that for a couple of decades. USe the cheaper .223 AI dies to load for the .222 mag AI. Actually you can use the same dies to load the 22-204 AI as well. Just a thought. Read up on Mike at bellmtcs.com.

Last edited:
You shouldnt need a full length die right out of the gate. While the AI-ing of the chamber slows a ton of case growth it does not totally eliminate it. You will need a neck sizing die of some manner though-hornady makes one that works quite well for me. The full length die just bumps the shoulder back. You'll know you need it when the cases get hard to chamber. For years I just put those in a bucket for a later date, as the 223 stuff was a dime a dozen. Now I have more than I will probly use in my life, unless I retire early and move west.

Yes you can use the 223 AI die for 222 mag AI's, as they both share outside case dimensions at the shoulder and shoulder angles.

Last edited:
well,darn,i wuuda thot that since the body is shorter on 223 than 222mag that length diff wud be carried over to the AI versions...my end-stinks wud hav thot that a 223AI FL die wud crush a 222mag AI body/shoulder junction.

Last edited:
Only if the die is adjusted correctly, If its threaded down to the shell holder it sure will crush the 222 mag AI, or at least set the shoulder too far back.

Years ago I had a contender barrel that was chambered for 22 rem jet AI, and the die I used was a shortened 223 ai die. Worked great. Wasnt what was specifically called for, but worked well just the same.

It can be done with no trouble you just have to know how to adjust dies. I load .223 Remingtons with my .221 dies all the time. Works great.

Originally Posted By: skb2706It can be done with no trouble you just have to know how to adjust dies. I load .223 Remingtons with my .221 dies all the time. Works great. ......how do you re-size the base area of a case (ex: 223) with a smaller case FL die (ex: 221)?

Originally Posted By: Chapped LipsOriginally Posted By: skb2706It can be done with no trouble you just have to know how to adjust dies. I load .223 Remingtons with my .221 dies all the time. Works great. ......how do you re-size the base area of a case (ex: 223) with a smaller case FL die (ex: 221)?

You don't and you don't have to. All I am looking for is to neck size and set the shoulder back a touch...Since the shoulder angle of the .221 is the same and the body at the shoulder is the same then it works just fine. Its not neccessary to screw the die all the way down to contact the shell holder. In fact its not desirable in most cases. I didn't just start doing this..........

Last edited:
Back