Rechambering AR barrel

firecapt

I have a very heavy barrel 223 by Model 1 and wondered if it would be feesible to have it rechambered or rifled to the 6.8 spc cal.I also need to know who would do this. Thanks for any ifo.

No. You would have to start out with a .270 bore in order to chamber a 6.8 on it. The .223 chamber and .224 bore pretty much limits you to what you have.

There are folks that re-drill and rifle barrels, but I would doubt that they would do it with an AR barrel because of the gas-port. I just don't think it would be worth pursuing.

There are shops who will rechamber/re-cut your barrel, but it would be cost prohibited to you. It would cheaper to order a 6.8SPC barrel and bolt.

Whats your application for the 6.8SPC? Do you want to hunt coyotes and use a heavier bullet or another use?

If you need any further assistance, give us a call at the shop.

M-Sa 9-6(pacific time) 480-968-2151

Quote:There are shops who will rechamber/re-cut your barrel, but it would be cost prohibited to you. It would cheaper to order a 6.8SPC barrel and bolt.

It would probably be cheapest to order a complete 6.8 upper with BC group and sell the upper/BC group you have now.
You might even find a straight-across swap if you're lucky.

Just an idea.

I understand the complete re caliberization of an AR barrel to be cost prohibitive, BUT (not the original question) BUT could a 17 Fireball chambered AR barrel be rechambered to a 17/223 without removing the extension..
Simple yes or no would suffice

Thank you

DF2

Removing the barrel-extension is not a problem. They will come off with ease. The only possible problem with re-chambering an AR barrel is that the gas-port is already drilled, and the chamber is already "timed" to the barrel-extension that is installed.

You would want to remove the barrel-extension to re-chamber it, but you would have to be very careful when you finish the chamber so that when the barrel-extension is re-installed, it not only times-up to top-dead-center, but the headspace is correct as well.

I have re-chambered AR barrels just to save them. I have had, over the years, several AR barrels with bad throats, or bad scoring in the chamber. Once the barrel-extension is removed, you can deepen the chamber with a finish reamer until it is cleaned up. In order to use the same extension, .0625" would have to be removed from the barrel-shank, and the chamber-mouth re-cut. In the past, instead of re-fitting the old barrel extension, I have fitted it with a new extension that will time-up after deepening the chamber by only perhaps .010". You may have to spin several barrel-extensions onto the shank before finding the appropriate timing, but I think it's better than having to re-cut the shank and chamber-mouth.

A short answer to the question is yes. Any AR chamber can be re-cut to any other chamber of the same bore diameter, with a caliber that will "clean up" the old chamber.

Originally Posted By: Droopyfur2I understand the complete re caliberization of an AR barrel to be cost prohibitive, BUT (not the original question) BUT could a 17 Fireball chambered AR barrel be rechambered to a 17/223 without removing the extension..
Simple yes or no would suffice

Thank you

DF2

Where did you get your 17 fireball upper from?

Thank you for the straight forward answer. Not being a gunsmith I thought maybe the rechamberiing could be done without removing the extension. Go's to show what I know, doesn't it LOL!!
Thanks again Mike

Th 17 Fireball barrell I have was put together by a man from, (at the time), Portland Oregon, named Andy Yates...
He stated he worked quite a while to get the timing right and the way he wanted it to perform.
His real love though was the 221 Fireball uppers he made with 1x9 24" barrels specifically to shoot the 69 and heavier bullets from it. With long seating of those bullets over AA 2460 he claimed 3.5 inch groups at 600 yds. Sounds like a blast from the Fireball..

Back