Need Help New to AR's!!

Originally Posted By: burkeboy34I'm shooting a ruger sr 556 16" 1 in 9 twist, with hornady tap fpd 55grn. 1/2in. groups at 100 yards. I see no reason for a longer barrel on a 223.

That is great news as I just bought a SR556 about a month ago and my favorite load is the Hornady TAP 55gr! I'm still messing with furniture toys, scope choice etc.

Can't believe I haven't gone to the range with it yet even to shoot with the BUIS... must be getting old or disciplined. Waiting for cooler weather actually...

I will say that the trigger was horrible: 5+ lbs on a scale and sloppy. No problem.... $30 later my gunsmith (local cop)had it at a sweet 3.5 lb and clean breaking. Typical as my two Model 77 Rugers required trigger jobs too.

Quote:I will say that the trigger was horrible: 5+ lbs on a scale and sloppy.

Actually that's not bad for any stock AR. If your gunsmith got it to 3.5 lbs. for $30 invested, you came out good. Tha's about the perfect weight for hunting with gloves, my Jewell is set at about that point and it cost me $200.
Stock, my rifle felt like you were dragging a brick across a cheese grater.
grin.gif

Hey, when you get out to the range, take some pics of the groups and post them. It is a lot more pleasant when the sweat's not dripping in your eyes, I found.
wink.gif

Quote:it says ruger on the barrel.

Thanks, I figured it did, but I wanted to check. If they're going to shoot 1/2 MOA I'm impressed.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Evil_Lurker
...my rifle felt like you were dragging a brick across a cheese grater.
grin.gif

Hey, when you get out to the range, take some pics of the groups and post them. It is a lot more pleasant when the sweat's not dripping in your eyes, I found.

Evil, that's exactly what the trigger felt like, a cheese grater and too heavy, but I am spoiled by my Tikka bolt which had a perfect factory trigger out-of-the-box; sooooo crisp.

Wilco on the range report. Getting a riser and mounting my scope week.

Back