Digital Scales

MNMark

Does anyone have experience with the Cabelas digital scale? It's about half the price of more popular scales made by reloading equipment manufacturers. With that much of a difference, I'd expect a downside - but not sure what it would be.

I have one & it's O.K.. As with others it is made by some Chinese manufacturer & their name is put on it. I take it slow & usually weigh each charge of powder. 1st I check the scale with a known weight, like a 50 grn bullet. I use a 'dipper' with an expected close charge weight of powder. Depending on the load, rifle or low weight handgun charges I zero out the scale after a few charges are weighed.

I still have not put the 5-0-5 manual scale out to pasture. The electronic scale can drift off as you use it, just re-zero often as needed.

MNMark, I have had about every kind of electronic scale but the one that you mention. They sure can be an education on how to waste good money.

If you want to buy one and one only, then save up and get the Ainsworth/Denver Instrument. I bought the commercial unit in 1990, still using it.

I also have two RCBS 10/10 scales that are the balance beams.

The 10/10 Scales are amazingly accurate as checked with the Denver Instrument scale.

I also checked the el cheapo Lee scale, dang, it was right on the money.

If you are wanting to weigh real fast, the Denver Instrument will weigh bullets as fast as you can pick one up, put it on the scale, and reach for another one!

I was making benchrest bullets at the time and was sorting bullet cores by weight, which I thought at the time would make a HUGE difference, and it did not make any difference at all for 200 and under shooting.

Bottom line, if you are wanting a good electronic, then don't go cheap. The RCBS 10/10 will not let you down,even when you spill your beer on it.

i have a rcbs rangemaster 750. i have noticed that the weight will creep up as much as .7-.8 grain with the pan empty, when the battery is getting low. change the battery and all is well. i also zero and check with a known weight every 8-10 loads just for safety reasons.

What Ackleyman said.
I've had most of the digital scales generally sold to us reloaders by loading tool makers. I think they all use the same strain gage unit made in China, and house them differently.
I got sick and tired of buying and selling them, or sending them back to whomever I bought it from, in search of one that would deliver consistent readings.
So, I too bought a Denver Instruments Digital scale 10 years ago. And, I am very happy I did buy it. Readings are instant, and consistent. It's accurate to .02 grains.
I consider scales regularly sold by the "trade" to be expensive junk.

Back