G2 surefire flashlight for night time coyote hunting???

skeetlee

I am looking at the surefire line of flash lights for night time coyote hunting. I will be mounting my light on a picatinny rail. I will need a red filter as well. I am looking at the G2 line. Will a red filter work on a G2LED model? I was hoping someone here has already tested a similar set up. If so please tell me what i need. thanks Lee

I purchased a Surefire G2 and upgraded the internals with a 200 lumen unit (I think Incandescent). Picked up a quick release offset mount on Ebay and ordered the forearm rails for my R15 from Yankee Hill. Also have the flip up red filter. This light is really bright and seems to be easy on batteries.

http://www.predatormastersforums.com/for...57#Post1272257.

TrickedR-15.jpg

R-15Light.jpg

I can't remember all the vendors I used but I do remember the folks at Tacthical Night Vision Company (PM Sponsor) were very helpful. http://www.tacticalnightvision.com/

I can't night hunt in AZ, but I have a G2 mounted on one of my ARs via a 45 degree mount from CAA and a 1 inch Weaver ring - looks very similar to the setup that DoubleCK uses. It's an iron sight setup, and I use the rifle mostly for competition shooting, plinking, and as my 'go-to' gun for the Zombie invasion. I have used it for shooting rabbits in, uh, "low light" conditions, and it works very well. I upgraded it with a very high lumen Alpha G8 lamp, and I added a red filter as well. The Surefire red filter is like $30 or some crazy thing, but I found this 3 pack of red, blue, and green filters from Sportsmans Warehouse that cost $5 and work like a champ - flip down covers and everything.

How far is your light beam with the red filter on? How far do you think you could spot red eyes looking at ya? thanks Lee

PS do you have a link or do you remember what the red filters were called at sportsman's warehouse?

With the white light I can get eye shine out past 150 yards. With the red light the farthest I have ever had to try it was about 75 yards, but it was working perfect at that range, so it can probably go farther.

The filters are called "3-Piece Color Filter Set" and are item #52999. They really were like $5. If you have a hard time finding them, let me know - I'll pick you up a set next time I'm there and send them to you. I couldn't find them anywhere on the internet.

Yeah Surefire lights sure go through batteries, but with the LED lamp upgrade, even with the higher lumens, it's said that a set can last for 3 hours. Never tested it, but I know my batteries last for almost a year - then again I don't do a lot of constant on action with it. Also, buy your batteries from eBay from a Hong Kong dealer. Even with shipping, I get mine for about $1 each.

Back