Leica CRF??

DoubleCK

After reading everything I can find here, I am convinced I deserve a Leica CRF Laser Rangefinder.

1200 VS 900 ?

7X CRF VS 8X Compact Binocs for Hunting ?

Leica CRF Warranty ?

Looking for first hand experience on the three topics above.

Many Thanks!

There's no difference in size between the two and not much in price. Go with the 1200 unless you stumble onto a great deal on a 900.

Ten Roger on the size.

I found the CRF 900 for $429 w/ free shipping. The best I can find on the CRF 1200 is $599 plus shipping. By my math that starts to crowd a $200 difference.

I wonder how much difference there is on dependable ranging at ranges out to 900 yards. If the only real difference is beyond 900 yards I think I would opt for the CRF 900.

I used a friends old style 1200 Leica LRF. I was getting good reads on deer and ground hogs out to about 700 yards. My Nikon will not do that. Not sure about the longer distances, or the differences. However one thing is for sure. I started my Leica 1200 LRF fund(a while back), and I am almost there. So I will definitely have one.

I can tell you about all the things I have read, but that is not experience based, and IMO is pretty much worthless. However I will know first hand in the very near future. Tom.

Bullseye Tom! Many Thanks!

Maybe there is a member out there who has had a chance to see first hand the difference between the CRF 900 & CRF 1200 in terms of ranging out to 900 yds. By far the Lion's share of my needs will be sub 750 yds.

A top priority to me is to be able to view the world with the CRF 7X with Leica clarity and quality.

DoubleCK...i started with the LRF900 when they first came out...optics spectacular but it wudn't range worth spit against shadows...i mean at less than 100yds...they replaced it even out of warranty...i was a happy camper...then sold it when LRF1200 came out...no complaints...it works & it's simple...leica&others hav all sorts of added features on newer models but simple minds like simpler stuff. i have no experience with the CRF models but a Leica is a Leica...i wud go with 1200...better to hav the extra range than not.

Last edited:
I have had the 1200 for a few weeks and have been really pleased. I haven't really stretched it out but have ranged deer sized targets just past 1,000. I'm not sure how much more it has in it, but I was impressed with how quick and consistent the readings were at that distance.

CL, For sure on the simplicity. Do you find there was a big difference between the ranging range between your second 900 and your 1200?

No! Shooting for me would max out around the 500 yd. mark. That would be a long shot.

My question is; will the CRF 1200 provide more dependable ranging or have any advantages up to the 700 mark or so than the CRF 900?

Do you get good readings on a variety of objects out to 600-900 yards with your CRF 900?

Also how does the CRF 7X compare to 8X compact binocs for genral hunting use?

Many Thanks.

doubleCK...yes,i did...at or near the 900's limits,it was sumtimes hard to get a reliable read...haven't had that issue with the 1200....REMINDER....THESE ARE LRF models....not the newer CRF model.

Originally Posted By: DoubleCKCL,

Did you find the LRF worked for general binoc type use? As good as a pair of 8X compact Binocs? .....NEGATIVE FOR ME...though the 7x optics are clear and sharp....i'm not the kind of guy who can use a monocular for binocular work...never was able to adapt to leaving both eyelids in the UP position...for spottin scope work i can get by without to much eye fatigue but when it happens i have to put on the pirates of the carribbean eye patch...i use a binocular for binocular work and spottin scope for.....spottin scope stuff...of course my personal optics are 60 yrs old.

we're all a tad diff in many ways....for my eyeballs...damaged by wind,glare,sand,san miguel or #33 and maybe wild turkey,staring at the sun at the sunset when i was triple-dogged dare'd (more than twice),cigarette smoke in to many bunkers and bermuda grass...the clearest rifle optics that i have looked thru is the nikon monarch 6.5x-20x....that's why i own 3 of'em...i know there are better optics out there but for my formerly red-streaked eyeballz....

Last edited:
01foreman...jeez i forgot the rest-sorry....

i never would have thot that i wud need anything farther than a 500yd limit...i'm not that good a shot...but it's amazing the things ya find that you NEED to range after ya buy one...especially if ya want to layout a loooong range and be accurate...

it's like a gal who wants a bigger bust...after the 3grand(?)is spent...she then "sees" that she shudda got a D...

I've had the Leica 1200 LRF, the 1200 CRF and now a pair of 10x Geovids. I've never noticed a difference between any of them as far as reliability was concerned. Out to about 700-900 yds. +/- they gave a good reading in bright sunlight, depending on the reflectivity of the tgt., and stability of the unit. In waning light they all will go beyond 1200 yds. In foggy or misty conditions, i can't go beyond 300 +/- with any of them.

Beyond 400-500 yds. or so u'll never know if you're ranging off the animal or the terrain behind it/around it depending on the angle to tgt. or terrain features (coyote standing on a hill, etc.), but taking several readings will give u a good estimate of the true range in flatter terrain at longer ranges.

Last edited:
Quote:Also how does the CRF 7X compare to 8X compact binocs for genral hunting use?

I have a Leica 1200 and a pair of Nikon 8x25 binoculars and there is really no comparison as far as distance viewing for an extended period of time... While the range finder is okay for looking at something for a few seconds (let's say less than a minute), there is a lot more eye strain, at least on my part, than using the binoculars...

I've done a bit of surveillance work, trying to use either a spotting scope, monocular, or a SLR camera with a long range lens and it doesn't take long for eye fatigue to set in, whereas the binoculars are much less stressful... It was much more comfortable to set my camera (or scope) on a specific location and watch the area with a pair of binoculars and hit the shutter release if my target showed up..

Great info guys!

sscoyote, Sounds to me like you have lived this Leica Laser deal. I would love to skip to step 3 and get a pair of Geovids.

Anyone know where I can pick up a pair for a Grand? Maybe some one has a pair to swap for a NIB R15 or a couple of M700s. What about a handgun thrown in on the deal.

Saw an 8x42 Geovid for sale over at 24hrCampfire a month or so ago for $1k, but they didn't last too long.

If you buy before the end of this month, you can get one NIB for $1400.00 - $1450.00 from Doug at Cameraland New York. His price is $1749.99 for 8x42's and $1799.99 for 10x42's and Leica is offering a $350.00 rebate. I paid a lot more than that for my 10x42's and they're worth every penny!

Back