Best round for Bushy Predator 1:8 twist?

flyinghigh

I have spent most of the day pouring over the net trying to determine what the most accurate round for the Bushy Predator 20 inch barrel 1:8 twist rifle is.

I assume the 68-69-75-77 will be the most accurate, but cannot locate anything to support that...other than a pic on the bushmaster page showing a .682 group at 300 yrd. The problem is that round is $850+ for 1k (black hills blue box)...I am going to buy the rifle and ammo for a P dog hunt and would prefer the 75 or 68 grain from Midway for under $600/1k if possible.

I am sure someone out here has on and has tried different ammo through it...I would appreciate any thoughts on this rifle specifically,OR on any 1/8 twist rifle you may have.

Thank you.

If ya reload give the sierra 65gr gamekings a shot..they are pretty accurate out of all my AR's..havent had a chance to try them out of my new build using the bushy predator barrel kit. I'm sure they will work just as well through it as they have in my other ar's.

60gr vmax shoots great out of my 1/8 twist. Black Hills offers them, don't know the price. Gonna be a guessing game no matter what. What shoots good out of mine or someone elses might not shoot so great out of yours. I'm sure someone out there has shot the Midway's. I would hate to spend 600.00 for some ammo that would only shoot sub par in my rifle. JMO

I handload for my BM Predator so can't offer any particular factory loads, but would sure suggest that you buy the rifle and try several different factory loads to determine which your rifle likes before buying $600 worth of ammo.

What works in mine may or may not work well in yours.

Regards,
hm

That pretty much sums it up, don't spend money on bulk ammo until you find what it likes. mine likes 50-55gr vmax, but i'm just shooting up stuff i loaded for my 1/9 twist ar's.

I haven't started loading anything heavier yet. I know they are supposed to like stuff in the 65-75gr range but know of one person whose shot 40gr ok. I broke mine in on 50gr vmax, and made a clover leaf on shots 18-19-20, so go figure.

I would buy a little of everything to see what it likes. blue

Last edited:
The 1-8 twist is in my opinion the most versatile twist for an AR15. I can shoot 55gr all the way to 77gr Sierras and i get great accuracy.

Mine likes the 68grain HP loaded by UltraMax. I have no idea who makes the bullet.

For some reason it shoots this better than the Black Hills 60 grain VMax, which is what I'd rather be shooting.

Quote:The 1-8 twist is in my opinion the most versatile twist for an AR15.

Yeah, that's an excellent choice. I don't think it will necessarily shoot heavy bullets any more accurately then light bullets (unless you're talking extreme ranges cross-wind). If you want factory ammo, you're going to have to buy a selection and do some testing.
I'd put about 100 rounds of cheap FMJ down the barrel first, many rifles don't shoot their best groups until they've been shot a bit.
Hornady and Black Hills with V-Max seem to end up being the best in my experience.
Which means nothing when talking about your rifle, it's just an observation on their consistancy.

Last edited:
My Predator's round of choice so far is the 55 gr V-Max Ultramax from Cabelas.

In my reloads, I have not found a lighter bullet/load to shoot near as good as the 55 gr.

So far my Bushmaster Predator likes Hornady 55gr V-Max. I don't shoot bulk ammo. Most V-Max bullets shoot good in a lot of guns and is used in a lot of bulk ammo.

Mine shoots great with 60gr Vmax. It also shoots well 64gr power points. My 1 in 8 doesn't like anything less than 60 grains.

Back