Anyone Shooting a 7 twister AR?

rockinbbar

I have a newly aquired EOP upper that spots a Shilen 7 twist .223 barrel.

I use 55 gr. V-Max nearly exclusively. Whats your thoughts on that combo?
I would very rarely need to go up in bullet weight with what i hunt.

Thanks in advance.

Barry

Barry,

I put together a couple carbines for buddies w/ 1:7 twist bbls. I did some load development for them using 55gr SP's and BL-C2. They shot great. I know the experts say to use the slowest twist you can that will stabilize the bullet you intend to shoot, but I doubt you'll have any issues getting that to shoot minute of coyote. I bet that thing would really shine w/ a 68gr HP/BT/Match over Varget.

Hey Barry,
The traditional bullet weight for the 7 twist is the heavier grain bullets, but with your shooting experience you know each barrel has a mind of its own and sometimes those 7 twist barrels will shoot 55's, i had a 9 twist that shot 77's lights out and its not suppose to either. Work up a load, try it out and get some heavier bullets only if needed.
Scott

I'll try my 55's in the upper, but if they don't shoot as well as I hope, I have options to sell the upper & keep the 8 twister that I have on the lower now.

One reason I like the faster twists is that they really seem to produce more devistation when they hit something.

Scott, it would be interesting to hear your take on what a faster twist does when the bullet impacts an actual live target as far as shock & wound channel.

Thanks

Barry

After shooting many thousands of ground squirrels with various twist 223s, I can guarantee that the faster the twist the more violent the expansion.

Jack

Originally Posted By: rockinbbarI'll try my 55's in the upper, but if they don't shoot as well as I hope, I have options to sell the upper & keep the 8 twister that I have on the lower now.
One reason I like the faster twists is that they really seem to produce more devistation when they hit something.

Scott, it would be interesting to hear your take on what a faster twist does when the bullet impacts an actual live target as far as shock & wound channel.
Thanks
Barry

Barry,
I wish i had more experience at the different bullet weights and different twist rates with impact statistics. I was always taught its the bullets velocity and bullet weight is what determinates the impact.

Good luck with that barrel, if you sell it, it should go quick.

I used to have a little M4 carbine with a 1/7 twist barrel and the only bullet I could get a halfway decent group out of was the 75gr A-Max and it had to be loaded with the ogive below the case mouth to fit the magazine... The potential pressure concerned me so I sold it.. and I had played with a lot of different load combinations trying to find one it liked..

I loved the size of the rifle and probably should have just gotten another barrel for it...

Back