Homemade bullet comparator

A drill will always give you an oversize hole. By how much is impossible to determine, and depends on a lot of things.
If you want it accurate, either:

Bore it (best)
or ream it after drilling to about .005 under the finish size.

If you don't have experience reaming, find somebody that does or read up on it first. You need low RPM, a good vice, cutting oil and a low feed rate.
It can be pretty accurate, if you do everything right.

Boring I'm not even going to try and explain.
laugh.gif

If you've never done it, this ain't the time to try.

Quote:I think I learned a lesson about rough milling versus finish milling, and I learned that I can't increase the amount of material that can be removed with each pass, just because I'm bored into a stupor.
laugh.gif

Wow, look at all the smoke, rot roh! Now I'm not bored.
cry.gif

Quote:A bullet comparator ignores the bullet's tip and locates on a bullet at diameter slightly larger than the size of a rifle bore, .240" in this case.

Quote:243 Winchester Barrel Specifications.
Common Barrel Twist Rate - 1 in 10" & 1 in 9" (uncommon) 1 in 12".
Bore Groove Diameter - .243"

Why do you think he stepped back .003" from the actual bore diameter? He didn't explain his logic on that very well (or at all).
I think he's wrong and you're more accurate, for the record.
Maybe he just can't use a pop gauge or tried and measure it with a caliper. .003 error sounds about right for a greenhorn.
wink.gif

We gotta be careful here, because he's getting real close to what I originally said for a diameter, and I already finished my crow.
smile.gif

Good article, I filed that one away in the bookmarks.

Last edited:
Back