Fireforming AI brass.

kdog70

I just purchased a 260AI. I do not want to do the Cream of wheat style. I have a bag of 260 brass and a few boxes of 140gr Amax, 142 Sierra HPBT, 120 Nosler Ballistic Tip. Do I look up a load for normal 260 with those bullets and just load a pretty warm load to form the brass to the chamber.
thanks
kdog

I would load the max load for the 260.

I have had great luck with all the AI's working up a fireforming load that was extremely accurate, you may want to do the same.

I just hunted with the fireforming loads.

The fireforming loads were hotter than the parent cartridge max loads.

Your milage may vary, work up loads carefully.

The Lapua 243 brass would be excellent for the 260 AI or the 308.

Avoid Federal brass because it is soft for this application.

The cream of wheat will still need a load development to get the shoulders blown out 90%, don't over do it with bullseye or you may loose the primer pockets on fireforming.

Get back to us and let us know of your findings.

i wouldent wast good bullets.. go get some junker winchester or remington psp corloc bullets or look around for guy selling older bullets that are not full semi cheap and use them as plinking rounds i would shoot them about 2 grains less then max in the books

but it being a 260.. see if you can find some were to hunt wissle pigs with .. load up a nice round with that an hunt with the standard loads and get the fir form when your done.. two birds with one bullet i guess you can say
Dave

You would think theres enough demand for Ackley brass nowadays that someone would just manufacture it pre formed no fire forming needed. You would think that company could sell all they could make. What say you Mr Roberts? Anyone?
Grizz

My only AI's are 17AH's. I have three of them. I have one rifle sighted in for my fire form load. So I'll shoot PD's all summer with that load and get 1000-1500 formed cases and blast a bunch of PD's in the process.

Originally Posted By: GRIZZLYONEYou would think theres enough demand for Ackley brass nowadays that someone would just manufacture it pre formed no fire forming needed. You would think that company could sell all they could make. What say you Mr Roberts? Anyone?
Grizz
AI brass can not be formed by the normal brass forming process. If it was possible all the manufacturers would have been doing it years ago. That 40 degree shoulder can not be formed by squeezing the outside down without too many failures. It has to be blown out from internal pressure.

Jack

Originally Posted By: EddieHarrenIs fireforming the method used by Nosler to make 280AI brass?
I don't believe they fireform it. Most likely they use hydraulic pressure.

Jack

I currently have two AI chamberings, a 223AI and a 250 Savage AI.
Cases get formed by shooting test loads. No Cream of Wheat, or any other nonsense.

Back