Need Help

Bozdogkiller

Hi everyone I just decided to start reloadind and buy some equp to do so instead of buying another rifle to buy factory bullets for.
I wil only be loading small cals like .17 .223 22-250 220 swift.
I have a friend who loads my stuff right now and hes about had enough of me taking up his time so .
My ? is where do I need to start what do I need to get going.
What brand of products should i buy . Should I go used or new ect.
And a good mail order website to order it ?
I will start of with the 22-250 and .223 so I know I need some dies and what not.
Id like to buy it all at once so I can finish some loads by the middle of Sept
Any help would be appreciated if someone has a few minutes to go over it with me.
Also plan on Moly coating my slugs can I buy a little unit that does that or do you have to buy the slugs that way /
Thanks
Chance

If you trust your friend to load ammo for you he should be able to give you the skinny onwhat you need. The very first thing would be a good loading manual, I recomend the Lyman and read the front half of the book a couple of time through.

You might want to go through the "help for New Reloaders" thread at the top of this page.

AWS

Manual(s), dies, scale, powder measure, powder funnel, loading block(s), a caliper, some means to lube cases and a priming system (you can use the press mounted one but a hand primer isn't too expensive--I like my Lee Auto-Prime). You will eventually need a case trimmer and a chmfer/deburring tool. You can get by for a couple of loadings on new brass before you need to trim. Your budget will determine the expense you put into your hew hobby. These are the basics.

Some things I've really come to appreciate over the years are: a micrometer adjustment on your powder measure, an RCBS case prep center, and a case lube rack (from Sinclair Int'l) with Hornady One SHot case lube. Eventually, you might want a case tumbler and a media separator. I'd also hate to go back to loading without my RCBS Chargemaster Combo but it is expensive and not necessary to produce safe reloads. You do not need these last things to load ammo. They are convenient and helpful. It depends on how serious you get about handloading.

Midway USA is a great source for reloading equipment and components. They aren't the cheapest but they have a good inventory and ship quickly. Lock, Stock and Barrel have good prices and reasonable shipping. MidSouth Shooter's Supply looks cheap in the catalog but they tend to get even with you on shipping. Powder Valley is very competitve on components.

With any reasonable care most of the reloading tools will last a lifetime so there is no reason not to shop for used equipment if you have the time and inclination.

Good luck. Feel free to PM me if you have any other questions.

Quote:If you trust your friend to load ammo for you he should be able to give you the skinny onwhat you need.

Exactly. Get with him and see what he's got, and ask him if there was anything he wishes he had different.
Then buy that.

I bet he'll be happy to do it just to get you off his back.
laugh.gif

Then have him help you set it up the first time, and buy him something for all the favors he did for you.

That way it all comes out good and you've still got a friend that doesn't think you leeched off of him.

(I'm half kidding, I doubt you shoot enough to have caused him much grief).

I always wished I had bought a Forster Co-Ax press when I started out, it's got a lot of nice features. *hint*

Have you ever gone over and reloaded with him before?

I would ask him to show what he is doing and why. Then buy the abc's of reloading and read that cover to cover. It is a great book and has lots of pictures. I didnt have anybody around to help me and read that along with a few loading manuals. If you can I would spend money on one of the kits that comes with pretty much everything you need to get started. I have the lee kit and has worked great for me. Im reloading for .17 fireball, 223 and 22-250. The one problem with reloading is once you get the hang of it there is so much stuff you think you need your going to be constantly buying stuff
grin.gif
I havent once regreted starting reloading, its alot of fun and you can turn out some good ammo. Good luck Boz and good to see you post its been awhile.

If you shoot one of the ammo burners like an AR of some sort you might want to consider a progressive or turret press system. Dave

Last edited:
Back