just put my first lower together!!!

69medic

Im excited about it so thought i would tell someone lol
Also thought id tell all the guys that are trying there first build its not that hard, I used the step by step on ar15.com and got it done. Took some time and cursing and searching for a spring after it shot across the room but it feels good doing it yourself. So if you have been debating trying just sit down turn on some music and get to it,hunting season is getting close.
im waiting on the post man to drop some stuff off and ill post pics hopefully next week of my new AR

Yup, they are very simple to assemble. I use the Brownells online assembly movies to do mine. Only took about 30 minuets for me using basic handtools around the house.

I just assembled my first lower as well, thought it would be way harder than it was. Gonna put it under a 20 inch bull barrel upper. Planning to camo the whole thing when done. I know I saw a thread here recently about painting or dipping your rifle, but can't seem to find it. Anyone know of that thread or any other info on camoing up your rifle?

Gee, I wonder which spring that could've been.
laugh.gif
If it wasn't for the front pin detent spring it would be a piece of cake. Just about everyone has problems the first time or two.

Congrats! I was pretty stoked the first time I put one together too. Lets see some pictures of it.

Last edited:
Congrats guys!! I remember the day when I put my first one together, definately very exciting.

When you have the right tools, it makes it even easier. If you ever need small parts, give me a shout, we specialize in the springs/detents.

For all you first timers congratulations! And welcome to the sickness.
smirk.gif
I betcha can't stop at just one. Wait till you start messing w/ bbls and handguards and ff tubes, gas blocks. It's a pretty satisfying feeling to whack a coyote with a rilfe you assembled.

Originally Posted By: deaddog7117I just assembled my first lower as well, thought it would be way harder than it was. Gonna put it under a 20 inch bull barrel upper. Planning to camo the whole thing when done. I know I saw a thread here recently about painting or dipping your rifle, but can't seem to find it. Anyone know of that thread or any other info on camoing up your rifle?

Rockinbar (Barry) did a post on that. Its a sticky in the other equipment and ctitter getting technique forum.

To make things easier on the front detent spring I always clip a little off the spring and have yet to have a problem out of about a dozen lowers.
smile.gif

Here is something worth having if you build lowers. They sell a "tool" for around $5, but this works just as well and you can find one at the hardware store for around $1.
Scroll down about 1/4 way until you see the "HUGE +1" post.

Pivot pin tool

And a "how-to" for the first-time using it.

Pivot pin how-to

Scroll down till you see pics.

Very painless, but I still work inside a gallon-sized freezer bag. I chased a detent once, that was enough.
crazy.gif

Use a punch, the same size as the pin to hold your spring in with. Push the pin through and the punch comes out. I thought that part was the easiest.
Congrats on your build!! I've only done one, but had it apart several times doing mods.

Back