FoxPro's LuckyBird call???

Ursus21

I often see people recommending the LuckyBird call for an electronic sound. It must be a regional thing or something. I've tried this call a number of times and never had any luck with it at all. I one time watched a coyote bed down. I snuck within 250 yards and tried the LuckyBird. He stood up look my way and then laid back down. I shut the call off and 10 minutes or so later he got up out of the brush and walked into an open stubble field where I shot him. He had no interest in that call. In the same field I saw two other coyotes at the far end of the field perhaps a half a mile away. Neither of them showed any interest either. I've talked with several other avid coyote hunters and they haven't had any luck with it either. I'm about to re-name it the Un-LuckyBird call. Has anyone had much luck calling coyotes with this call or is it more of a bobcat call?

I have had great luck with it. I recommend it to any newbie as a must have sound. It doesn't work all the time, but nothing does.
It seems to me when they come to the LB they come in very confidently.

Try it in combination with fox sounds. Coyotes don't like the idea of foxes getting any critters in their territory. There are any number of reasons why a particular coyote or coyotes won't respond to a particular sound or any sound at a particular time.

I have had no luck with it either but have not used it but a 1/2 dozen times at most which is not a good representative test. Now on the other hand Cranky Cardinal has worked really well on coyotes,bobcats and raccoons for me.

Redfrog that really surprises me. I've tried it a few times because I think it is a neat sound, but so far nothing has come in to it. Well nothing that I've seen.

Well something I find unusual is that the woodpecker distress is also very effective. Some of the areas that it is successful is wide open prairie where you would have to buy a tree. No woodpeckers.

When i use these sounds, I let them run continuosly till I can't stand the sound anymore.

Lucky Bird is one of my favorite sounds. I have never heard anything like it in this country and it still works great on coyotes. Do a test with Lucky Bird, when you are close to giving up on your stands, switch to Lucky Bird on full volume for about 4 minutes. After doing this on 20 to 40 stands you will have given Lucky Bird a better chance to work. Use your proven sounds for the first 10 to 15 minutes and then try Lucky Bird on full volume for the last 4 minutes.

Derbyacresbob, I'll try that method. At the end I really don't have anything to lose by trying.

Regfrog you made me laugh out loud with this comment: "I let them run continuosly till I can't stand the sound anymore." I can totally relate to that statement.
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: Ursus21Derbyacresbob, I'll try that method. At the end I really don't have anything to lose by trying.

Regfrog you made me laugh out loud with this comment: "I let them run continuosly till I can't stand the sound anymore." I can totally relate to that statement.
smile.gif

Ya, I think we've all been there
cry.gif

One of the things to be careful of is the negative thoughts toward a call or method. If in your mind you feel nothing will come in to a particular call, your eyes will believe your mind and when something does come in, you don't see it.

Any woodpecker distress type sound will bring in coyotes in the Southwest. They are popular enough that every company creates a series of bird/woodpecker type wails for their callers. The Lucky Bird is is fast paced and I like that. Sounds more desperate in my opinion. It is also easy to get the timing right to pause it successfully between wails.

Its one of my top sounds for bobcat and fox. I have had fox come running in hard. I have not had any luck with it on coyote.

Troy Im another one that has had good luck with the Luckybird. I have called in both coyote and bobcat using it. It is one of my favorite sounds and I wouldnt be without it if Im using my electronic call.

Guy

Originally Posted By: venaticI have had no luck with it either but have not used it but a 1/2 dozen times at most which is not a good representative test. Now on the other hand Cranky Cardinal has worked really well on coyotes,bobcats and raccoons for me.

Same here.

I've had some very good luck with Lucky Bird and with Johnny Stewart's Squealing Bird. Got coyotes in in Oregon, California, Nevada and Arizona with both sounds. While I haven't tried all of the sounds in my caller I've had success with everything I have tried.

I'm an old time caller who came to the electronic calls late in life. Part of the fun for me is trying things out. Either way you do it you have to have confidence in what you're doing. If you don't have the confidence you're going to start fidgeting or moving around or cut the stand short blowing it. You also have to be where there are coyotes, too.

I often start a stand w/lucky bird playing as a background and use hand call in conjunction. Called in two last week w/LB and pup whines on hand call on first and cottontail dist. on 2nd.

Often works alone for bobcats.

Regards,
hm

I've had good luck with several bird distress sounds includeing lucky bird. I don't go with full volume though. I think the higher pitched bird sounds carry farther or maybe it's because the low volume is just plain easier on my ears?! Those bird sounds can be pretty obnoxious, but they work, especially in areas that get hunted pretty heavy. Bluejay is another one I use a lot.

Back