fur loads for .22-.250

royce reavley

Anyone able to recommend a bullet/load that effectively kills coyotes yet is easy on the pelt? The 52 gr. Sierra HPBT match bullets @ 3600 fps.that I used last winter did too much damage, but I became an expert at sewing! Most shots are at running 'yotes within 100-200 yards. I'm thinking the 40 gr. V-max or Sierra's 55 gr. gameking btsp might be worth a try. Any suggestions???

Hi Royce. Welcome to Predator Masters!!

Can't be much help on the loads. A friend shot a bobcat in the ribs with a Berger 50 MEF, a hot load in his .22-250, and it did not exit. He is sold on that bullet. I have heard that at longer ranges it sometimes goes right on through. So,........

I would think that the 40 V-Max is certainly worth trying!

------------------
Critr

LW42144.jpg

www.SaguaroSafaris.com

Royce R.--I have had excellent performance with the 52 gr. Speer HP in a .22/250 (mv=3520 fps). Hardly ever have an exit wound of any kind on coyotes, but it is really brutal on fox. Only about 1 of 5 red fox will be in good shape; the others will be bad. Some will have parts missing.

I have shot 55 grain Remington Powerlokts for years with great success.I shoot a Remington 700 .22-250.The best load I have found for consistant groups with minimal pelt damage are 1)55 grain powerlokts.2)34.6 grains of IMR 4895 powder.3)Federal Gold metal primers.4)I like Winchester Brass..These bullets are shooting about 3600 feet per second.Hope that helps.
smile.gif
GOOD HUNTING

royce,
I think most of your problem is the "match" grade bullets. The Sierra 55 grain "Gameking" would be my first choice. It has a heavier jacket which means you will probably get an exit most of the time but the size of the hole should be small enough for you to live with.

I have had good luck with Noslers 40gr ballistic tip. You can get that bullet up to about 4000fps in a 22-250. I have not had much pelt damage. Bergers MEF is also and excellent choice. Yote Hunter.

I'm going to have to ride with yotehunter on this one. Granted I haven't done a whole lot of experimenting, and I'm not much into reloading...but everyone reading this, all mighty included, knows I'm a fur handler. I swear by the Nosler 40gr ballistic tips for my 22/250.

~River Runner~

------------------
predatorlogo3jpg.gif

www.predatormasters.com

Thanks for the help guys. It seems most of you prefer the Nosler ballistic tip over the Hornady v-max, do these bullets perform much differently? Also anyone try the 35 gr. v-max? Thanx again!

I'm sure many will argue but I have found that the performance of the the Nosler BT and the Hornady V-Max to be similar. Main reason I use V-Max is Bi-Mart has them in stock more often. Both shoot great. Both can get messy on fringe hits. If I was going back to pelt collecting I would switch back to the Hornady 55gr SP or the Sierra 55gr SP (Gameking). Both perform about the same far as I can tell. Very accurate with consistently minimal damage.

Back