Skunk Essence

JamesKain

I was wondering if anyone uses any form of Skunk Essence? If you use/used it can you tell me. How so and how successful you have been? How well dose it work for you?
Working ADC (started this year) I have plenty of skunks.
So I would like to use the essence but before I really jump into it just let me know what you think of using it.
I dont mind it much, but just dont ask the wife!

What else do you guys use for long distance bait call?
I also end up with alot of chipmunks squirrels and woodchucks.
I m thinking of doing the chunk bait with them. Maybe keep them separate or grid together and make my own blend?

Thanks
James

I have this posted under Calling in the east also.

you can use skunk essence in lots of recipes..but i ussually collect essence and trade it to a lure maker who knows what they're doing, for the finished product, at an exchange rate of about $10-$12/ounce. you can ussually figure between 1/4-3/4 of an ounce per adult skunk.(unless they've recently sprayed)

I must have had about that from it. I was hoping for more....but no luck! I tried and tried to get more... eh my first skunk essence extraction.
I should look up some other things I can use it in besides liquidfye Visolean.
I m also looking to make my own chunk bait. I m sure there maybe some place that has something for that with skunk essence. Sure something may like it.

just remember a little essence goes a long ways.. and if you use to much, it can overpower other ingredients.

Will do! I m still trying to air out my house. From the last jar I made. Smells worse inside then out. I dont know why it smells worse inside then out!

I use it on my marten and fisher sets with good results. When it gets real cold the Vaseline and essence works very well. My favorite method for removing the skunk quill is to use a needle. You can buy a variety of sizes at you local feed or farm store. The milking method didn't work too well for me. So far I haven’t noticed a difference using it for K-9s or anything else for that matter. For some reason the neighbors cats love to sleep in my cage sets if there is skunk juice present.
Squirrels and chucks make excellent bait, for most any predator. I'm forever picking up road kills and putting them in my bait freezer.
Wile making your own can be fun and rewarding SHE likes it much more if I sell the parts and buy the finished product :p

I have used from 1 drop to 5-6 onces of lure to 1 oz per 4 onces of lure kina depends on what you are trying to do . my normal lures mostly K9 s 1 drop to the ounce - 1 drop to 2 onces of lure I have only caught a few bobcat mostly screwing up coon buckets they seem to like a skunky lure the few red fox we have here they seem to like it it really seems to pull the grey fox I normaly go after and coon seem to be able to find it and the black bear will find skunk and beaver meat hth

Aprohet, which kind of lure(s) do you you use when adding your essence?

Bigfish57, did you make it to Neel Olsons Trappers weekend here a few weeks back?

I need to acquire a freezer and a small fridge for my lures and baits on top of frozen storage of raw pelts or ketches.

Back