Scope magnification question

iblong

I need to rescope my M77 Mark11 223 and need opions on power levels,I usually go with 3x9x40 or 50 but Im considering a 2.5x7 32 this time as the reallity of my hunting is really heavy cover and a really long shot would be 200 yrds.Yhe farthest shot to date was 180yrds.Most would be 50 to 125yds.
Would there be advantages using a lower magnification in my situation.
Thanks,Bob.

Well, I've always liked 4-12 and 6-18 scopes on my rifles, but I stuck a Leupold 2-7 (heavy duplex) shotgun scope on my AR a while back cause it was all I had handy.
Last week I whacked a crow in a plowed field (on 7x) at 256 long steps.
grin.gif
Lots of luck involved on that shot, but a coyote-sized target at 200 yards shouldn't be a problem in my opinion. especially with a regular or fine reticle.

Last edited:
The greater field of view on lower power (1.5-2.5X) would be a big plus, especially if they don't break cover until they get close if you're hunting mixed timber or farmground. I like a 2.5-8 or 2.5-7 with a 40 objective although they're not very common.

Most of the calling guns have a 4-16x42. I run them on 4 power to start a stand off. But can crank it up if I need to. I would be more concerned with size of the objective. I'm no expert but I wouldn't go any smaller the 40mm and would prefer to be larger. My vote goes to the 3-9x50.

The power of the scope would be just fine, maybe better than a 3x9. I would look at the field of view between the scopes you are deciding on. Go with the wider field a view. At 200 yards, 2.5 shouldn't be a problem. Usually the farther away it is, the more time you would have to move it to 7 power. Mine is always on the lowest setting when starting out.

I just picked up a bushnell elite 6500 2.5-16X42. I don't have it on my rifle yet, but initial yard testing it looks really nice. It seems to have the magnification range and options for anything.

Bob,
I hunt in open desert country that is often times choked with sage brush and the like. My longest shot ever was just over 100 yards. I took an Aimpoint off of my AR and replaced it with a 1-4 Leupold. I haven't used it hunting yet, but I sure like the fast target acquisition of the lower power scope. The Aimpoint was nice, but difficult to use in low light (for me anyway).
In the country I hunt in, I'd rather use an under powered scope than an over powered scope.
4X should be fine to 200+ yards and I don't plan on shooting them that far out anyway.
JMO.
Mark

swift makes an excellent 2x-7x-40 scope. it is bright, clear, and reasonably priced. I have had mine on a 12 ga slug gun, 35 remington, and now on my mini 14. where I hunt is thick and a 150 yd shot will be a long one.

I've got high power scopes but last year I used a 2-7x VX1 on a .222 and really liked it so this year it'll be a 1.5-4.5x Bushnell 3200 firefly on a .223.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input guys,Ive just been noticing the last couple of seasons that my higher power scopes never seem to move off of the lowest settings and the field of view is much better as is the eye relief.It also atleast for me is easier to hold on target better with lower magnification.
Im a little supprised I didnt get the get more is better recomendations.In my application I think Ill also look at some nice 1.5's X.just incase some critter wants to crawl into my lap.
Thanks,Bob.

That Bushnell would be a great range for calling. I run a 1-4x30 Millet DMS on my AR and a 1.5-5x32 Weaver on my 22mag. Both offer great field of view and allow me to shoot eyes open and quick in the trees and brush. When shots are longer I can dial up and send em.

Just saw that Cabelas is offering a 2-10x40 for about $200. Would give a great range of magnification and only 12oz. Never owned or used one of their scopes so dont know about quality but...

Back