.17 caliber 25gr Berger Question

Matt N.

Based on experiance do the .17 caliber 25 grain Berger Varmint bullets shoot much differently from the .17 caliber 25 grain Berget Target bullets?
I tried the 25 grain Berger Target bullets and am looking for another bullet to try. So far I have tried 25 grain Hornady v-maxs & HPs, and the Berger Targets. They all shoot a little under an inch, half that is the goal.

Thanks.
Matt.

well my 17 Rem TC (super 14) likes the 25 grain bergers while my 17 rem BDL (old model) does not- it likes the 25 gr sierras. Still well within an inch. Berger sponsored me on a hunt two years ago and sent me all match grain bullets- so I did not know if they made a non-match bullet. At that time they told me they were attempting to break into the varmint crowd. All worked well on critters. This past weekend I whacked a fox at 20 yards with the TC- did not damage the pelt nor exit. Then (my fault) I sang in a yote and missed her broadside at 112 standing a still as a statue. I should have kissed her in a bit- maybe too far for the super 14 or my eyes. A few years ago I whacked a 150 pound pig at 185 yards with the BDL and seirra- she did not move with a 25 grain pill placed behind her ear. So both bullets have done me well- just not in the different guns with different length barrels. You just need to test a bunch. If you end up with some left over that you don't like- I bet it would be easy to move them. Good luck, JHG

I dont think Ive ever seen a 17 caliber sierra. Its not listed on their website. If your rifle is a 1 in 9 I would try the 27 kindlers if its a 10 twist I would try the 25 kindlers they seem to shoot in just about everything.

Yea,,,, That's some solid internet advice...

Please tell me where I can get my hands on some of these "25gr Sierras"...

heck, i now need to walk out to the shop- it has been a while since I loaded them, maybe not sierras. blows getting old, stand by. I will check it on the way to work and reply this evening. Maybe Speer- but let me confirm. Also the problem loading for a dozen hungry varmint rifles.

The bergers I used this weekend were 25 gr forward of 21.8 of R12, Rem 7.5 Primer.

OK, I stand corrected- the bullets that I have for the 17 are Hornady 20 and 25 grain. I have not tried the 20 grainers yet (bought about 6 months ago) and the Bergers are Varmint match grade. But I am sure the bullets I used 20 years ago in the 17 Rem were seirras, green box- but then again I can't remeber what I ate for breakfest and its only 0500 now. Sorry for the confusion. JHG

I shoot allot of different 17 cal rifles and the kindler 27 and 30 grain bullets seem to shoot great in all of them.. We have had some great results with another bullet that we are testing now.. More on that later.. Kerry

I think the original question was whether the Berger Target shoot any different than the Berger Varmint. FWIW, in .224 the Bergers shoot the same day in and day out regardless of lot number or jacket thickness (Target/Varmint). They are amazingly consistent both in accuracy and POI. If the Target bullets don't shoot, I doubt if the Varmint bullets will either. My $0.02. (Although it may not be worth that much.)
wink.gif

Last edited:
I'm assuming you will be using them on predators? I don't think you'll see much difference in accuracy between the two but you'll likely see a big difference in their respective performance on coyotes. The bullet of choice for most is the Target Match. It has a smaller hollow point and seem to be more controlled expansion on the bigger predators. Being a newbe to the .17's I am by no means an expert on the subject but everyone I've spoken with who has used the .17's a lot, especially for coyotes, has been insistant that the Berger Target Match is a better coyote bullet.

My .17 Rem (CZ 527) is really picky about seating depth. If you haven't played with it, I'd try varying it a bit and see if it'll improve your accuracy.

The Berger 25 gr match bullets are VERY accurate from my rifle, but I have to get the seating depth right.

Last edited:
This rifle is driving me nuts. It shoots everything into right about 1 inch at 100 with five shot groups. I have gotten it down to about 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 now.

BTW, which bullet is best for fox and bobcat?

the bergers should work fine,you may have to change the seating depth or the chager.1/10 grain at a time.they do a very good job in the killing department to.

Originally Posted By: Matt N.This rifle is driving me nuts. It shoots everything into right about 1 inch at 100 with five shot groups. I have gotten it down to about 3/4 inch 5 shot groups at 100 now.

BTW, which bullet is best for fox and bobcat?

I'm not sure about fox. Seems like anything I use from a .17 Rem on our little greys is pretty rough on them. When I'm in fox country, I try to use a .22 mag loaded with 40 grain Win JHP's.

For bobcat, I use the same 25 grain Bergers, but be careful about bullet placement. I usually send it into the far shoulder on a broadside shot.

Or, if I'm in fox country when I call in a cat, I'll use the .22 mag, of course. I don't usually call in a lot of cats in my areas, but a couple per winter isn't uncommon. I'm sure I'd call more if I focused more on cat country.

Daryl

As far as the original question,I will say not only do they shoot differently,they ACT a whole lot differently,on game.I've never shot a Berger I didn't like,on paper that is.That includes,172s,204s,and 224s.It didn't matter if they were Varmint or Match.My advise is stay with match bullets if you want the pelt,fox included.I used some 30gr MEF's on coyotes last year,and was getting too many entrance splatters.Match bullets stopped it.Berger MEF bullets are as advertised,Maximum Expansion Factor.Both bullets printed small little groups from my 1 in 9 barrel,but they would at least be about an inch apart at POI at 100yds.Bergers Match bullets are for killin,their MEF's are for turning starlings into a big old black Poof!I still need to breakdown and try me some Kindlers someday.

Matt, it looks like you have done the full circle on finding that pet load. Nothing seems to get you much under 1 MOA. This tells me it may be the rifle. I have no idea what you are shooting or how it is set up. But trigger, floating, bedding, and a good cleaning may do the trick. Also I would need to look back if you are talking a 17 Remington or a Remington FB. Or even some wildcat in the 17 configuration.

Back